IGNORED

Trailer wiring

tufftom4

You will need to install a 5 wire to 4 wire converter on the bike.

They are available in most any auto parts store.

It is best to use a powered one (one that has a separate power and ground wire) so that it does not mess with your flasher.

I have never heard of a plug n play for the venture, you will have to tap into the wires under the seat.

I just found this plug that came with the hitch it has 3 wires in 2 out then a white and brown wire. If this will work let me know I can tear an engine apart and rebuild it but electrical is not my specialty. The pigtail supposedly came from an 83 VR.

It is hard to see in the pic but if it is what I think it is it will work.

On the end of the box that has 3 wires coming out;

The box red goes to the brake wire on the bike is yellow

The box green goes to the right turn signal on the bike is dark green

The box yellow goes to the left turn signal on the bike is brown.

On the end of the box that the 2 wires come out of;

The box yellow goes to the flat 4 yellow wire

The box green goes to the flat 4 green wire

There should then be a brown and a white wire left coming out of the flat 4 connector;

The white goes to a good ground on the bike (Preferably the negative battery terminal)

The brown goes to the running lights on the bike is blue.

There might even be markings on the label of the box to show some of this.

Since this in not a powered converter the power to run the trailer lights will come through the electrical system on the bike. Depending on how many lights are on the trailer it is possible to end up blowing fuses on the bike.

Test everything with the engine running and the rpm up around 3,000, ( that will give you the full power to the lights) before you take it out on the road for a pull test.

You would hate to have to sneak home with no brake lights or something.

OK I did as you said wired up the lights put a new connector on the trailer but did not go to led just used the ones that came with the trailer, all the lights work great no blown fuses and the little box fit perfectly with the air system. I bought an aftermarket high output rectifier but I do not have the tools to fab up a bracket, anyone have any ideas to make it easy ? THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP.

Tom

Glad the wiring worked out and you are ready to roll.

Just make sure that you have some spare fuses with you at all times, just in case. You should be good, but I always err on the side of caution.

You may want to start a new thread for the H.O. R/R.

I can not help you with that one, mine is still stock.