IGNORED

cooling fan

DesertRider

It's been several years since I've seen or heard my cooling fan come on. I've been kind of concerned about it since I'm making trips to see my son, about 260 miles round trip, most weekends. I've been trying to catch it running for some time now and finally today, I cranked it up and just let it idle for about 20 minutes, without hearing it come on. Just when I was going to give up, I felt a blast of hot air coming out near the front cylinder on the side I was standing on, looked at it because it was almost too quiet to hear it but it was running. Only ran about 30 seconds then shut off again. My temp gauge hangs around in the coldest part of the scale all the time even when it's fully warm so it doesn't help very much. Besides replacing my temp gauge, I wonder if it might be worth it to put an LED on that fan circuit so you know it's working on hot days.?

sounds normal to me.....mine does the same thing........it never comes on when i'm riding, even down in az., and nm....and it's 100 degrees........and when i just let it sit and idle to check the fan...my handheld temp reader shows about 220 when it comes on, and about 210 when it shuts off....and the fan doesn't stay on long at all.....

I just finished wondering the same thing I let it sit at idle until it almost was boiling over it didn't come on, I had to clean the connections and let the bike sit at idle for a long time again but the fan finally came on, It really seems to be at the upper reaches of the guage and the engine is pretty hot when it kicks in.

I installed a manual switch but left all the original equipment functional also.

If your gauge stays on the low side-you might have a bad gauge. I seen somewhere on here how to check it. There is also a sensor on the right side of the bike towards the front that if the wires are loose or connections dirty the gauge won't show temp correctly. I have an 86 and my connections were loose and dirty so my gauge would read on the low side and barely move up even when bike was hot.