IGNORED

Speedometer sensor????????????????

Jrichard

What does it do! and i know that it is located on the left-side of the 83-93 VR in the fairing-----------does anyone have the part #?? and a PHOTO!!-------------------:usa:----------

speedometer did a flip-flop and died!!{the needle]

Good question JR..... To my knowledge the speedo is mechanically driven and the only thing electrical around it is the dash light. My guess is the speedo sensor probably has something to do with the cruise?? If your speedo stopped working it's most likely the upper cable to the dash has viabrated loose and fallen off. Happened to me on one of the '83's only mine didn't quit, it howled when cold. I thought it was a dry lube thing, but when I swapped out the dash the cable fitting was barely touching the speedo dash fitting. Needless to say the fitting is really torqued on now.

It does 2 things........input to cruise control on those models that were equipped with it....also inputs to the turn signal self cancelling unit. Its been about 5 yrs since I replaced my speedometer, but I'm sure the speed sensor attaches just above where the cable enters the speedo housing. The cable drives the speedo and spins a magnet and the sensor has a reed switch that opens and closes once every revolution of the magnet. I can't see it actually affecting the needle movement unless the sensor has loosened off and dropped into the speedometer head.