IGNORED

More noisy gears...Awesome...

Well, after servicing my bike, I've run across a potential issue. When I pulled the drive shaft out of the swingarm to check the upper splines, a coil of metal was wrapped around it. Looked like the coils that spin out of steel when it is drilled.

I had a look up the drive shaft tunnel and all looked well...no leaks and everything in place...as far as I could tell.

After all was back together, it seemed to be running just as it should...until the rumble started. The description is somewhat typical of what has been described before; quiet with power on, a low rumble on deceleration, somewhat quieter with the clutch in.

Being the paranoid type...I'm going to have to discover what the hell this noise is. What I've done so far is slip the swingarm boot back to look at the yoke. The bolt is in place so that shaft isn't broken. There is no detectable in or out play in the output shaft. There is very little rotational play in the mesh with the drive gear, (as gauged by slowly turning the shaft and listening for the tiny click when the gears touch).

Total slack in the drive system with the bike in first is about 2 inches, measured at the wheel.

With the bike in neutral on the center stand, the rear wheel spins easily, without resistance or binding. When I roll the wheel forward by handd, (which dynamically puts the same forces on the system as deceleration), I can feel a slight rumble which feels like gears meshing somewhat roughly. It smooths out when rolling the wheel backwards.

With a stethoscope, I pinned down that the rumble is coming from the pumpkin, not the middle shaft.

So now I'm going to try a few things. Tonight I will loosen the 4 nuts holding the pumpkin to the swingarm and see if there is enough movement to realign the shaft a bit. If that fails, I will remove the pumpkin completely to check for play.

(When I had the pumpkin off to service the rear end, I pulled the shaft out of the pumpkin. The seal came with the shaft, completely intact so it was reusable. The input shaft stayed with the pumpkin indicating that the shaft was also intact.)

I'll basically have a good poke around and see what's what. I'm hoping for an easy fix but am prepared for tears and pouting.

Attached are some pics of a strange bit of metal I found wound around the shaft when I pulled it from the swingarm. I have no idea where it's from....I'll have a better look when I'm in there again...unless it fixes itself then it will have to wait until the snow blows.

Wow, that's interesting. Looks like you may have been the first one to go into that area of the bike since it was new. I cannot imagine getting that tape worm in that area any other way. I am surprised the thing did not make a bunch of noise before.

As far as your current noise, it could be the nut is now being broken off the pinion, but I would think that would be more pronounced during decelleration than what you are describing.

RandyA

When I had the pumpkin off for servicing, I checked everything I could think of, including the splines on both ends of the drive shaft, and the splines where the shaft engages on both ends.

I pulled the shaft out of the pumpkin and the nut was still holding the drive shaft receiver to the pumpkin pinion shaft. All seemed tight with minimal slack. I greased the crap out anything I could reach and there were no spare parts when I put it back together.

The wheel moves very freely without binding, (or side to side freeplay), when turning the wheel by hand in either direction.

Basically, I've looked at everything I could think to check and everything looks top notch.

After riding it around for a bit today, I've decided to just ride the damned thing and see what happens. The noise on decel really isn't that loud...my bro didn't notice it when he took my bike for a ride.

If it gets louder, I'll check it again. In the meantime, I plan on doing more riding and less tinkering.

I'm starting to think that I've gotten a wee bit too paranoid from reading too many horror stories. Time to relax and ride the damned thing before winter hits.

It's an idea...perhaps it was a rumble reducing sonic dampener.

Sometimes I think I would be better off if I just ignored the noises. Except for the dry upper splines, I didn't find a single thing wrong with the back end of the bike when I took it apart...even the lower shock mounts were nicely greased.

Since I don't recall the noise from before I worked on the bike, I can only assume that I slightly mis aligned something upon reassembly. If I did, it only seems to be making some noise and it certainly isn't causing any binding or grabbing.

If only I could ride with both hands over my ears while I go, "LALALALALALALALA...CAN'T HEAR YOU...LALALALALALALALALALA..."

When reinstalling the drive shaft and pumpkin to the swingarm. USE the axle to line it up square. Tighten the 4 nuts slowly. And just befor they are full tight, check that the axle should be able to rotate easily at least 90-180 degrees or rotation. If it's tough to turn all the time. Then it's not as best as can be. AKA, not aligned. This procedure is manditory on Old Goldwings. They are / were made very sloppy in this area.