IGNORED

autometer gauges

Sideoftheroad

I am looking at one of their tachs right now and I know Baron's has a seperate controller for single fire ignition that will correct an error on RPM's displaying incorrectly. I believe we are a dual fire if I am not mistaken. Just wondering for those who may have installed an autometer tach if you had to use a controller to adjust rpm.

Thanks

e-mailed Autometer and here is what I got. Have no idea what 1ppr is. I understand it is not recommended for a bike, but neither is a car tire (oh yeah, I went there):big-grin-emoticon:

me

I have a 1999 Yamaha Venture motorcycle that I attempted to hook up tach product # 2300, I get the needle to move a little while riding.

I know the wires are hooked up correctly but wonder if this model is meant for Single fire ingition? I believe the Ventures are dual fire which might be the cause of this issue. Also I am not sure how old this tach is as I just got it from a neighbor. The instructions indicate there are 2 dip switches to set it to 4 cylinder. There is only 1 dip switch on the one I have. The picture on the web-site is exactly the same as what I have except for under the words by Autometer it also says 2300 (assuming that is the model #).

I am also interested in product # 1994 and wonder the same issue in regards is it for single fire ignition vs. dual fire.

them

That unit will most likely be putting out a 1ppr setting for a tach. This is why you're having difficulty.

Neither of those units you're looking at will work, nor are they recommended for a motorcycle, due to both vibration, exposure to the elements, and not being water resistant.

The only thing I can recommend trying on that is a Pro-Cycle tach. Those are capable of a 1ppr setting. Those other units will not work for you. Single vs Dual fire should have no variance.

PPR = Pulses Per Revolution.

Until recently, tachometers were calibrated based on the number of cylinders in the engine. Now, there are all types of engine control modules (ECMs - on-board computers) and distributor-less ignitions and the old standard rule, "half the number of cylinders equals the pulses per revolution (PPR)", no longer applies. Pulses per revolution (PPR) relates to how many times the ignition fires per crankshaft revolution. The tachometer outputs from the ECMs can range from 1-PPR to 4-PPR for a V-8 engine. So, the new standard is to refer to PPR instead of the number of cylinders.

source - http://www.marshallinstruments.com/tachometer.cfm

Edited by Smely

I'm not familiar with autometer tachs but I did install an automotive tach on my 96 Royal Star by setting the tach on the 4 cylinder setting and connecting to two coils. To do this you have to build a simple adapter to read the pulses from the two coils. Because the coil fires twice per engine revolution, by hooking to two coils you get four pulses which should give you the proper readings on your tach set for a 4 cylinder. I can't guarantee that this will work with all brands of tachs but it worked well for me.

Good luck

Doug