IGNORED

No more Michelin Commanders?

01 Rider

A buddy of mine has been trying to get a new Commander front tire for his Tour Deluxe for several weeks now, with no luck. He tried the local Cycle Gear and various online outlets and can't get one. Dennis Kirk said they couldn't get them anymore.

He finally called Michelin customer service in South Carolina and they told him they were discontinuing the Commander and didn't know if there would be a replacement.

Has anyone else heard this or had any trouble getting Michelin Commanders lately? It seems there are still rear tires around, but having trouble finding a front.

I've been running the Commanders since the original Bridgestones wore out and I really liked them. Looks E3's for me next, unless they come up with a replacement

Somebody else posted that they are coming out with a Commander II. I've done some searching and can't find anything about it on the Internet. I'm not sure what is going on.

Yes that was me that posted about them. They told the owner of the shop they were coming out with a Commander II and no one had any left so he gave me a Elite 3 for the same price. The commander I have on the rear is wearing fine. 5 k and maybe half worn. The Elete 3 works very well with it. I don't usually like to mix brands but they seem to work together well and I put it to the test in WV.

Yeah, actually there have been several threads noting this in the last several weeks.

If he is still looking, www.ridedirect.com 1-866-574-1939 had a few left.

I kept chasing and found them, a small distributor in the hills of eastern KY.

Mine was 3 years old but that's not a problem for a Kevlar tire. It was $130 delivered.

A little high for Internet price but,,, I got one.

Mike G in SC

EDIT: I did just go on that site and put one in my shopping cart. It took (and then I deleted it).

Seems like the guy told me his inventory was live, so, per that, he still has some.

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 6 months later...

I ran through 2 sets of Commanders on my Venture before switching to the Dunlop E-3's. I'm impressed with the E-3's a LOT more....and they are holding up much better than the Commander's ever did.

Boomer....who's sold on the E-3's....and the pygmies love the emergency stop capability in front of the DQ's.:whistling:

I tried to buy a front one last August and could not. Always out of stock or backordered. So I called Michelin because I wanted to match the Commander already on the rear and was told that Commanders were out of production. So I replaced my front with Dunlop E3s. So I now have Commander on the rear and E3s on the front since last Sept. I have noticed that I like how the E3s handle will replace my rear with E3s when time.

Big :thumbsup2: for Dunlop E3's