IGNORED

Can't get a grip!

Guest karras

Hi there!

Some months ago I posted on Kuryakyn handles for the 1st gen. Then there was the fact that the left one was too loose, so someone here suggested I put hockey tape around the handle. So I set them aside.

Now I went to install them a few days ago. Did the hockey tape thing on the left, it's nice and tight. For throttle however, I can't put the housing back on. The shaft seems a little too big. If i put it next to the old one it looks identical but it really is just the housing. If I force a side on, there is no more play for the accelerator to come back in it's position.

How on earth is anyone install these? On the package it's written 6235. If I remember correctly from my previous thread, that this was the correct one to get...so I'm certainly not the only one with this problem...unless I got the wrong ones in the pack...in that case nice waste of :mo money:they cost me almost $100!

Can anyone help. The old left one is cut up and in the garbage already long gone and new one is glued. :bang head:

Thanks in advance for the help!

When installing new grips, always start with the left handle bar. Lub the grip with soapy water, never tape. Some grips come with a glue. Try reversing your install and you should be OK. Look close at the opening, one is a tad smaller because of throttle size using larger one.

Sorry to bump up this post from last week but I wasn't on for a few days.

I think I am expressing myself wrong. I put tape on the left handle and put the new handle over. It's fine except that the glue does not adhere to great to tape, so I added a little more tape it's tight now. I'll add glue.

My BIG problem :bang head: is with the throtte. The housing for the start switch that normally goes over it does not fit anymore. I know some of you here have replaced them so what is the trick? The end of the throtte seems to be the same diameter but not the exactly same girth. :confused24:

What's the trick? Any help would be great because I would like to ride it for another few weeks and now I am stuck and threw out the old handles.:crying:

When installing new grips, always start with the left handle bar. Lub the grip with soapy water, never tape. Some grips come with a glue. Try reversing your install and you should be OK. Look close at the opening, one is a tad smaller because of throttle size using larger one.

:no-no-no:

I have been successful using soapy water and my wifes hairspray as the glue.The soapy water is the lubricant on the bar, and I then turn up the grip and shoot hairspray into the grip to completely coat the inside..then push the grip on the bar. Don't ride until the hairspray has had time to dry, around 8 hours. Then you are good to go. I have used this method for years and has not failed me as yet....my $.02

My BIG problem :bang head: is with the throtte. The housing for the start switch that normally goes over it does not fit anymore. I know some of you here have replaced them so what is the trick? The end of the throtte seems to be the same diameter but not the exactly same girth. :confused24:

What's the trick? Any help would be great because I would like to ride it for another few weeks and now I am stuck and threw out the old handles.:crying:

Karras,

If I'm reading this right, you can slide the throttle grip over the handlebar, which is ok. But when you try to put the switch housing over the grip, it will not fit. Am I on the right track here?

If so and your positive that none of the wiring of the switch is in the way, I would suggest that you file the flat ends which fit into the groove down some. If this isn't what you meaning then perhaps you could give me a call and we could talk it out over the phone. My # is in the VR assistance list :happy34:

Squidley, YES this is exactly my problem. Left one is on fine. The throttle is on and cable connected. My only problem is getting the housing back on. If I force it, I get one side on but then it's so tight that the throttel would get stuck.

Thanks for the advice. I will try filling down. I hope it works. I guess I was not making myself clear somehow. All I want to do is get the housing back on to hold the handle back in place. Many have done so here so I was wondering what the trick was.

Squidley, YES this is exactly my problem. Left one is on fine. The throttle is on and cable connected. My only problem is getting the housing back on. If I force it, I get one side on but then it's so tight that the throttel would get stuck.

Thanks for the advice. I will try filling down. I hope it works. I guess I was not making myself clear somehow. All I want to do is get the housing back on to hold the handle back in place. Many have done so here so I was wondering what the trick was.

Let me know if you run into problems, we'll get it figured out....we always do :happy34:

Karras, I put on Kuryakyn grips (not sure the model) a while ago and the cover slipped right on. I would think that something is holding it up, did a button slip, wire in the way, or the grip is not positioned properly.

Take a close look and you may see something binding.

Brad

I have th 6235, I double checked the Kuryakin web site, seems that is the correct number. I can't see anything in the way. I compared the old grip to this one. The plastic that holds the cables seems identical but I think it's a little thicker. So when I try to push the cover all the way in only one side goes on and even then, if I managed putting the screws back in, it's so tight that there is no play for the accelerator to come back into place.

That is odd. Thanks Brad I will check I might have the wrong ones if you say you put the cover back on. Unless anyone else has encountered this problem?

Karras,

I am using the 6180 series grips that seem to fit the first gen Ventures just fine.

I still suspect that the Kuryakyn web site is wrong with the 6235 series listed for the 1st gen. Probably not what you wanted to hear though...

I did not use any golf tape as mentioned by DanJ, but I did end up re-glueing the grips twice with the glue supplied by Kuryakyn.

The reason I had to re-glue was my fault because I was worried about using too much glue the first time especially on the throttle grip side.

A word of caution when using the Kuryakyn supplied glue is that is has similar viscocity and stick of Superglue so extreme care should be used when applying.

I put on about 4500 miles this summer with the new Iso grips, and I absolutely love these grips.

I do suggest that you follow their installation directions down to the letter. Especially related to the amount of glue for one, and the right versus left grip angle for another.

I have used the foam style grips for the last 15 years so the Iso grips were a hard sell for me to convert.

The rubber on these grips just seems to grip better as they weather which so far was a complete surprise. No noticeable fatigue related to these grips.

I guess the true test will be over the next couple years of riding, but at this time I would recommend to anyone interested in improving their ride comfort and performance!

daveg90 aka SuperSport

progress.gif

I put on 6235 (**Update Nov 5, 2007 - 6235 is the wrong model number - I tried those and they did not fit correctly since they are for 1" bars so I ended up with the 6241 Universal grips, 5 3/4" long without a throttle slide preinstalled - some prefer the longer models**) model grips on my '87 just 2 weeks ago.

The left side was loose and I put a wide spaced spiral of tape on the left handle bar to help some. The glue that came with the grips was dried out so I went to the local home store and selected a form of super glue designed to be semiflexible and fill gaps. The rubber in the grips will flex over time so you cannot use the standard brittle glues, which also do not fill and depend on tight clearances to adhere.

The throttle side grip is tighter but the glue will act as a lubricant and slide on easy enough. I reused the exiistng 1/8th in thick foam washers that fit between the handgrip and the housings. This helps prevent binding against the housing.

The white plastic original throttle tube on my bike was too long so I cut about 3/16" off the end. The original throttle sleeve end also curved a bit over the end of the handle bar. I just hacksawed it off. Dry fit was snug, but the glue makes it easier.

In summary:

I really like the grips. The thicker diameter is nice. The space between the rubber pads allow you to relax your grip some since you do not get the feeling of your hands sliding off like on smooth grips. They went on easily. The housing fit normally since the new grips just go over the existing throttle slide and do not come close to the housing at all.

[:bighug:quote=daveg90;146408]Karras,

I am using the 6180 series grips that seem to fit the first gen Ventures just fine.

I do suggest that you follow their installation

directions down to the letter. Especially related to the amount of glue for one, and the right versus left grip angle for another

progress.gif

Just checked their web site and 6180s are the ones you want. Your bike isn't listed, Gold Wing grips are the same. For safety reasons anyone else that have a first gen and have this companies grips, get the right ones.

First to k7mdl...you mentionned that the grip goes over the existing throttle slide. Mine came with a new throttle slide...that maybe the problem? Humm?

To Cutty, I had posted a thread some months back prior to buying the grips and most had answered that 6235 were the right ones. Then I contacted the company and they said the same. Also if you look carefully at the web site's fitment chart at the bottom it states "Royal Star and Venture ALL 6235". So I am confused still. This was a question in the thread as well.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/chart.asp?sku=6235

Karras & K7mdl

The Kuryakyn 6180 series grips that are advertised at 7/8" x 6-1/4" which is about the longest grip you can purchase.

This matches up pretty well with the stock grips.

I also used my original sleeve which was in great shape.

I believe that the 6235's are 5-3/4" long which is why K7mdl had to cut the throttle sleeve down.

Hope this helps...

daveg90 aka SuperSport

Looks like my attempt to unconfuse things only confused things :-). Sorry about that.

I have both a '07 and '87 Venture and had both the 6235 and 6241 and no longer have the packaging so it was 50/50. Despite thinking about it before writing I still got it wrong!

The '87 is a 7/8" bar and I used the universal ISO without the throttle slide (6241 - http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2925 ). It is 5 3/4" long as mentioned earlier.

You can find decent descriptions of the family of grips on this page's notes on the left:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2921

I had first got the 6235 right after I got the '87 and had guessed the handlebar thickness was 1", but found out dry fitting them the bars were actually 7/8".

Since the grips were so expensive I went out and bought a '07 to put them to good use.

:big-grin-emoticon:

The real story is that while getting parts for the '87, the wife sat on an '07 in the showroom and liked the Queen's accomodations better and declared that she was not getting off the bike until I bought it and ordered the selling of the '87. Months have now passed and I still have the '87 for solo rides and commuting. "Trying to sell it dear, but no one is interested (in my one and only small listing)". I am definately taking advantage of the fact my efforts are not monitored.

:stickinouttounge:

I will edit my earlier posting.