IGNORED

Does your Royal / Venture whine??

M61A1MECH

I just read the tech section in my October issue of Motorcycle Cruiser. A reader wrote in to ask Mark Zimmerman in the Shop Talk section about a Royal Star that has a whine in the rear end. The reader talked about proper shimming and all of his experience. Mr Zimmerman's response was "I'm not aware of any specific or generic problems with the Royal Star's final drive..... I did a quick internet search and nothing jumped out at me, so if you have info to the contrary please let me know so I can find out what's going on."

I emailed him instantly, gave him a list of web sites to investigate , including Venturerider.org, If you have any information for Mr. Zimmerman reguarding a whine in a Royal Star I think he deserves an email at zimmemr@aol.com.

Lets see if he can make good on his promise to "find out what's going on." :stirthepot:

Guest tx2sturgis

I think most owners have a noticeable clutch whine, but the rear end noise is less noticeable....especially if the clutch is whining.

One thing I stated to Mark was it is almost impossible to distinguish the rear end noise from the clutch noise when you are riding, the readers problem may have well been the clutch whine.

Send Mark an email tell him about your experiences.

After all I read about our whining problem, nothing seams to have made much sense:think: until now. I read this TECH Q&A in Rider magazine and thought some one else may be interested.

Q: / recently purchased a used, one-owner 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with the 1,300cc V-4 engine, still under factory warranty with 7,000 miles on it, I discovered (only after I brought it home and began to ride it) that as the engine speed increases there is an annoying "whine" to the motor. I have talked to two other Venture owners about this, and whine is so loud you can't hear the radio! Is this something I should take back to the dealer to have looked at, or is this truly a whine I have to live with? By the way, the noise is in the enginenot the drivetrainbecause it is notice­able in neutral as the motor is revved. Dave Sugarbaker, Via E-mail

A: The kind of noise you're describing usually comes from straight-cut gears, and the Venture has two sets: the gear pair that drives the clutch and the pair that drives the balancer shaft. The pri­mary gears—the ones that drive the clutch—seem to be the problem here. Most manufacturers address the noise issue by using helical-cut gears (teeth that are at an angle rather than parallel to the shaft) or split gears (gear pairs that are slightly offset and spring loaded). Now, by using straight-cut gears, Yamaha has made accuracy in the machining of the gears highly critical. A driven gear (the one on the clutch hub) that's just a couple of thousandths of an inch too big will make a lot more noise. As with all mass-produced machinery there's a plus and minus tolerance, and ideally the gears will be matched so the tooth engagement is just right. The engineers have probably made sure that even if you got two "big" gears there would be enough tol­erance in the shaft bearings that it wouldn't cause a bearing failure.I suggest you take your bike in to your favorite Yamaha dealer and get it looked at while it's still under warranty. Even if the mechanic can't find the problem (using Plastigauge to measure the clearance and then actually finding a specification to compare it to), you'll have docu­mentation and if something breaks later you'll have something to fall back on.