IGNORED

Stator - R/R replacement

I have a 1990 VR with 96K miles on it. Been a GREAT bke! Recently had the stator go out. During my research here for threads on replacement ideas I came upon a discussion about replacing the R/R whenever you replace the stator. From reading these posts I concluded I should also replace the R/R. Just for good insurance if for no other reason.

Question: Is there any way I can get in on the group buy deal for one of those Shindengen FHO12AA regulator / rectifiers ? Does any one have an extra one they would part with ? I can find them else where but you guys worked the best deal I can find. GREAT job !

Thanks for the help.

Red Baron

• 1 month later...

To those of you that read my post about replacing the R/R, thanks for your time. I guess I was too late to get in on the group buy deal for the Shindengen R/R's.

The good news is that I have replaced my stator with a rebuilt unit from a fellow in Arkansas. Looks just like a new one and functions just like a new one. I figured there's not much that can go wrong or be bad since there are no moving parts. Rewinding a stator is not rocket science. The price was about half a new after market unit. The item I really wanted to know about, the Shindengen FHO12AA regulator / rectifier, has been purchased from another source for a very resonable price. Not as good as the group buy but acceptable. I would like to comment that the new R/R has improved the voltage readings at the battery over what the OEM regulator / rectifier did. I am very pleased with the results. Thanks for all the help and the GREAT suggestions and ideas in this forum. Have a GREAT day !

Red Baron -- Oregon

Quote "has been purchased from another source". What is the source you got yours

from? I would like to have one on hand just in case.

Thanks

MG

To those of you that read my post about replacing the R/R, thanks for your time. I guess I was too late to get in on the group buy deal for the Shindengen R/R's.

The good news is that I have replaced my stator with a rebuilt unit from a fellow in Arkansas. Looks just like a new one and functions just like a new one. I figured there's not much that can go wrong or be bad since there are no moving parts. Rewinding a stator is not rocket science. The price was about half a new after market unit. The item I really wanted to know about, the Shindengen FHO12AA regulator / rectifier, has been purchased from another source for a very resonable price. Not as good as the group buy but acceptable. I would like to comment that the new R/R has improved the voltage readings at the battery over what the OEM regulator / rectifier did. I am very pleased with the results. Thanks for all the help and the GREAT suggestions and ideas in this forum. Have a GREAT day !

Red Baron -- Oregon

• 4 weeks later...

To the two inquiries of where I got the Shindengen regulator / rectifier.

I got mine from e-bay. They are listed under "Yamaha R1 regulator". They are standard equipment on late model R1 motorcycles. Just be sure it shows the part number of FHO12AA in the picture. I figured a used one would be just fine as there are no moving parts to go bad and most people don't even know what they do so they haven't been messed with. So ... I bid and got one from e-bay --$80.

Another source if you don't want to try used is a place called Roadstercycle. He has them listed as brand new for $115 which is still way cheaper than Yamaha wants.

www.roadstercycle.com

Hope this helps you find one for a resonable price.

The sun is shining here and it's already up to sixty degrees out so I'm going riding.

Have a GREAT day !

Red Baron Oregon