IGNORED

Down to my last two issues

I bought this 90 VR earlier this year and with the help of the threads on this site I've been able to fix just about everything, but now I'm down to my last two things and hopefully you guys and gals can give me a little direction...

First, I just put new fork seals in, and I"m not to proud to admit it was my first time doing this. But here is the issue, once in a while it sounds like the springs are hitting bottom, it's especially prominent when I'm braking and hit a bump it sounds like a gunshot sometimes. I filled the forks up to the specified level, so I'm not sure what this could be, short of possibly the anti-dive locking up? It's got me stumped but that really wasn't very hard to do...

Second, the rear brake makes a chattering sound, It's not a constant chatter, usually when I'm down to a slow speed. I can't hear it when I brake at speed, and I've even run it around without my helmet on to try and hear it. I'm going to take the rear master off this week and see if I can see anything obviously wrong with it. the brakes seem to work fine it's just making this weird sound.

Other than these two things the bike is great, I ran it out to Moab a couple weeks ago and it's a dream on the highway and in the curves it keeps up with my kids R1. I don't mind spending the time or money to fix it up it didn't cost me much to start with..

Thanks in advance for all your insight.. .

Bob

Hey Bob,

If you could take a few moments and answer a few questions, hopefully, we can get your bike running better. With your bike being 20+ years old, I would guess that your front fork springs are basically shot! Here is a link to a set of top quality replacement springs for your 1990 VR:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2907&title=first-gen281983-1993-29-progressive-fork-springs-21&cat=6

Now, about that rear caliper, there is nothing inside a brake caliper that retracts the caliper pistons, NOTHING! Dust from the brake pads combined with fluid squeezing past the seals forms a glue like residue that keeps the caliper pistons from retracting away from the rotor. You are hearing the brake pads that will not retract from the rotor catching the slots in the rotor. There is no need to remove the Master Cylinder, remove the rear caliper, pull the pads, and look for build-up around the pistons, and look at the pads for uneven wear. If the pads are wearing unevenly, then the pistons are sticking and that caliper needs rebuilding. Here is a link for that:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2443&title=first-gen281986-1993-29-mkii-caliper-rebuild-21&cat=6

If you are one of those guys that likes to work on things I get a decent discount from Yamaha on OEM parts and share it with the members of VR.ORG. If I can help you with any of the items above, please feel free to PM me. :thumbsup2:

Good luck with your projects,

Earl

I figured it was the springs, I will get to ordering a set hopefully this next paycheck.

The brake info helps a bunch, I was guessing on this one, with the master cylinder working both the front and the back I figured I'd start at the source and work out... :)

I do try to do most of the work myself, but I'm never to afraid to ask for help...

Thanks agian,

Bob