IGNORED

Chopped my windshield

Guest PlaneCrazy

Guest PlaneCrazy

The other day I rode through my first full blown rain storm with my new Venture and I got a rude awakening to how dangerous the tall RSV windshield is in bad weather. Because it sits so vertical and because you can't look over it, the rain blocked my vision much worse then previous bikes I owned with windshields. Another thing I noticed about this windshield too, was that I still got hit in the face by rain that came in from the sides. I wear glasses, so this just compounded my vision problems.

I'm going on a 4000km East Coast trip in a week so I decided to cut the stock windshield down. I've always set my windshields up to where I am just looking through or slightly above the top lip and, in bad weather, I can sit up a little straighter and look over the shield for safety's sake. One thing I like about that set up, as well, is that the slip stream from the wind coming off the top of the windshield takes any rain and deflects it away from my face. On my last bike (with a National Cycle HD Touring windshield) I could ride through torrential downpours and 99% of the water went over or around my head.

I'm an airplane mechanic and I was going to do this myself, but a buddy at work offered and he's a wicked perfectionist (and a great machinist!) so I let him do it.

- I first sat on the bike and then used a piece of paper and some tape to try different measurements for looking ahead and marked where the cut should be.

- Then I used masking tape and taped off the area I was cutting on both sides of the plastic

- I found the exact centerline of the screen and marked it then I freehand traced the profile on one side only in black marker. For me, I decided to cut the windshield at exactly 4" from the top, in the center. I then traced out a flatter profile then the stock one (one side only!)

- I then copied the profile I drew onto a blank piece of paper and reversed it and transferred it over to the opposite side of the screen. this way, the two halves will be symmetrical... which is more important then the actual shape, IMO.

- I used painters masking paper and covered the front and back areas of the bike

- My buddy then cut the profile out using an air saw with a fine tooth hacksaw blade. The air saws are great because you can vary the speed and you won't melt the plastic. Another tip here is to start the cuts from BOTH sides and work towards the middle. DO NOT cut from one end only and go right across, because there's a chance when you get near the end that the vibration will cause the last little bit to crack off before you cut through it. Meet the two cuts near the centerline of the screen. Also, do this rough cut just above the profile line you marked.

- The next step is to rough file the edge down to the mark

- Once that's done, take a small wooden block with some fine grit sandpaper and then polish the end cut until its level and smooth. Then run the block along the edges and put a slight bevel on the plastic. I didn't do as extreme as the stock bevel though. I also left some rather sharp edges on both ends of the new cut to make the windshield look a little more "slammed"... sorta like some Harley batwing screens. I think my RSV looks much better "balanced" now when seen from the front.

The results were great! A test drive after proved that 4" off was perfect for me (I'm only 5'8"). I could look over the windshield easily and there was no buffeting at all. I had to lift my head up almost 6" to start to feel the buffet. If I have passengers, they may get a bit of buffeting but I ride solo mostly, so that's not really an issue for me.

Total cost = $0 :happy65:

Bike shop wanted $75 to do this for me and I would have had to remove the windshield and bring it to them.

Here's some pics...

http://www.ridecanada.org/photos/before_1.jpg

http://www.ridecanada.org/photos/work_1.jpg

http://www.ridecanada.org/photos/after_1.jpg

http://www.ridecanada.org/photos/after_2.jpg

Edited by PlaneCrazy

Guest PlaneCrazy
do yourself a favor and coat both sides of the windshield with RejeX

I use on the painted and chrome parts of my vehicles too.....

GREAT stuff!!!!!

The rain just flies off!!!!!!!

http://www.rejex.com/

I'll have to check out where I can find it locally. Looks like good stuff. thanks for the tip. I have heard that rain x wasn't recommended for acrylics or helmet visors.

I clean my windshields with Prist windshield cleaner. That works great as well.

I'll have to check out where I can find it locally. Looks like good stuff. thanks for the tip. I have heard that rain x wasn't recommended for acrylics or helmet visors.

I clean my windshields with Prist windshield cleaner. That works great as well.

I buy it onlline at skygeek.com as nobody locally carries it.

there is a National Stock Number for it, but I dont know it......

Not only is it dangerous when rain hits it, but I noticed severe glare with oncoming headlights at night. My stock windshiled would completely white-out with oncoming headlights. I bought a new Yamaha wider windshield on ebay. It was about 11 1/2" tall and I ended up cutting it down to 9 1/2". It's perfect for me. I can see over it and do not get alot of wind on the freeway. Plus with the wider and shorter stance, it really sets off the look of the front of the bike.