IGNORED

motorcyclist offers apology

ryder

Motorcyclist offers apology and restitution to members of DUMB

An apology is in order, so, please, forgive me. It was not until this morning on my ride to work that I fully understood I was in error.

Yes, I've noticed that there are many very busy and important people on the roads. You all are hard to miss with the cell phones, laptops, breakfast bars, coffee, cigarettes and all, but until now, I didn't realize I was causing so much trouble for you busy, multitasking drivers.

I figured it out this morning, thanks to the nice lady working on the laptop who needed the lane I was in.

First, ma'am, let me say that when I honked at you from the shoulder, I didn't mean to startle you. My intent was just to give you a little beep to let you know the lane was all yours. But I was braking so hard, I couldn't lift my thumb off the horn button. My bad.

I surely didn't mean to cause you to nearly hit the guy talking on the cell phone. You know, he was smoking and talking as he moved his SUV right into the space you had just left.

Anyway, the good news is, that's when I realized all of you multitasking drivers must be texting each other about intended lane changes and running traffic lights and stop signs and such. I'm sorry - I'm still using old-fashioned blinkers. I didn't realize you needed some time to e-notify that guy that you needed the lane back. I really messed it up for both of you!

I can only say that the guard rail was a little distracting, and I was only thinking about myself. I'll try harder next time.

Like I said, I didn't know that was how you multitasking drivers were communicating. It must have been in an e-mail, but my laptop fell off my tank and I haven't replaced it.

However, I have a solution.

I know many of you are so busy and important that you have no choice - you have to eat, work, talk, read and do lots of other really important things as you drive.

Those of us who use the road only for traveling would be happy to stay out of your way; we just need to know you're coming.

A little visual clue would help - I was thinking of a bumper sticker. That way, everyone could identify you as Drivers Utilizing Multiple Behaviors.

Of course, that's a little long, so we'd cut it down to an acronym - DUMB.

If you'd place stickers on the front, back and maybe the sides of your car, the rest of us would know not to interfere with you on the road.

I think it's such a good idea, I'll pay for the bumper stickers and even put them on for you. Deal?

Again, I'm sorry I got in your way. I'll try harder to see you coming from now on.

I promise!

I wish I had had a copy of this on Tuesday, as I watched a driver pass me on the interstate while reading the day's paper...

I just don't understand how friends, work, extra curricular activities, etc., can be so important that the safety of others pales in comparison. I guess I'm fortunate that I'm not that important.

• 2 months later...

Just recently traded my V-Star 1100 for a 2005 RSV, love the bike and look forward to doing my next LD ride with a lot more comfort. Anyway, got the RSV, joined the forum and saw that ya'll had posted one of my columns. I'm glad ya'll liked Motorcyclist's Apology and brace yourself for more thoughts leaking out from under my helmet.

Guest tx2sturgis

Sure seems to be alot of members on here from this area...we might have to plan some sort of meet-n-eat our own selves!

Actually, with all the members in Texas and surrounding states, maybe we can figure out a central place to meet....maybe Abilene, or Weatherford, some place like that...maybe in the spring time, or early summer.

Just a thought.

Guest Saddletramp

:rotf:I used to drive truck all over htis great nation of ours for 25 yrs.. You would be suprised to see what people do behind the wheel when their bored with driving.:7_6_3[1]:

weekend before last a local police officer was on his way to work on his bike, when he hit a small deer and went down. that he probly would have survived, but he was ran over by 2 cars following behind him (3 lane interstate @ 6:30am). i can't imagine that happening, they must have been right on his rearend!!i'm pretty sure they will be regretting it for most of their lives. i see these things every day and want to slapsome senses into them.

Guest KitCarson

First I like your post......understand it......think it is great.......BUT......it has only been a week since two of them tried to make a hamburger out of me, one sitting at the stop light with vehicle in reverse......I went around him.......so the meat of the burger escaped, they did not.........I thought it was funny, but also it pi$$ed me off!!.......Just yesterday this guy in a white lumina was tailgating me with his ear in the cell phone(I was in my big work truck) he went around me.......zipped in front of me......hit the car up at the intersection square in the rear......I just pulled into the left hand turn lane and went on.......NO Sir........I do not apologize to any of them.......I live in South Carolina.......the home of the Idiot Driver!! Daily I could write some nonsense like I did once called my 18 mile gauntlet...........It seems to be getting worse if that is even possible..........one of them ran into a school bus last week......how in the world can you not see a big yellow school bus??? No I offer no apology to any of them.......none of them enjoy life.....they all think we are bad people, and it is great fun to pull up beside a Sunday driver all decked out in fancy clothes and see if they will meet your eyes at the stop light.....most will not.......they stare hard straight ahead.....wishing this hoodlum would just go away!! No people in cars do not understand us...never will.......no need to try and I offer no apology to them. If the law would not prevent me......I would mount a 50 cal under the frame and clear the road ahead of me.

Abilene, San Angelo, Odessa, Houston, as long as it is south of Amarillo. The ride to work every morning at 20 degrees is getting old, or maybe it's me that's geting' old. Either way, count me in for a meet & eat.....

Great article, I enjoyed it, just as much the second time! ! ! Larry do we need your permission to get this printed in the local paper, up this way. I think your on to something here, we could call it,

" RATH for the DUMB ":rotf:Raising Awareness Through Humor;............. thanx Larry

______________Truly a great read

Terrific article, LSupina. I see a public service campaign centered around the theme of your article.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE...DUMB"

:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no: ..........................:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:......................... :no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

So its a shameless ripoff of the drunk driving campaign. :) Who cares, let's just take advantage of our chance to strike back at the man...woman...or whatever, recklessly driving the cages on our roads.

Crank out the bumper stickers and billboard signs.

Jerry

Feel free to run the article, if you look out over the internet you'll see it on lot's of forums, maybe three have asked. I figure if it makes one cager put down the phone and drive, I've done something good. Funny thing is, one of the forums that did ask was a bicycling site, seems they are getting run down as much as we are.