IGNORED

Need rear shock, or info about

thebighop

I have a 99 RSV, yesterday the tail end started bouncing up and down like an old Chevy pick-up with just leaf springs...

It's holding air OK, so I am assuming I have an oil leak...as the boot is covered with what looks to be old dirty oil.

Can the rear mono shock be rebuilt? Does anyone have one(good one) reasonably priced?

By reasonable I mean...the dealer here want $718...I want to spend a lot less.

Any help about how to fix it or locate a decent priced replacement would be greatly appreciated...

Guest tx2sturgis

If its not under warranty, then most members here seem to be happy with the Works unit, around $700. Not picking on you fella, but as a member on here for 4 years, how is that you havent seen any of the threads about the rear shock?

Do a search on this site for 'rear shock'...lots of info here.

Thanks Midnight...that's better than the OEM I have been quoted here..Works sounds like the best bet though, except a 2 week build and then shipping time...I need it yesterday...Right now the bike is my primary transportation...and it's too blamed hot to be sitting around...

I am going to try something before I buy...a friend said he adds oil thru the air line. I am draining it now and will try filling it with spindle oil or shock oil, which ever I can find first, and see how that works...if I have to fill it every day, it is less hassle than shelling out a that kinda money for a replacement...this shock is only 4 years old and has about 45,000 miles on it..

If its not under warranty, then most members here seem to be happy with the Works unit, around $700. Not picking on you fella, but as a member on here for 4 years, how is that you havent seen any of the threads about the rear shock?

Do a search on this site for 'rear shock'...lots of info here.

Actually...I did do a search...but there is way more chatting than info, so I opted for the direct course....

I seem to recall being told at some point that the rear shock could be rebuilt...but it's been a while ago, and I can't remember every thing I am told...

Besides, I was hoping to find a member with a good shock that wanted to sell it...

Guest tx2sturgis
Actually...I did do a search...but there is way more chatting than info, so I opted for the direct course....

I seem to recall being told at some point that the rear shock could be rebuilt...but it's been a while ago, and I can't remember every thing I am told...

Besides, I was hoping to find a member with a good shock that wanted to sell it...

Ok...no the factory shock can't be rebuilt. The aftermarket Works unit CAN be rebuilt.

Its unlikely that you will find either a new one or good used one...since most of us ride them with the factory unit till it craps out. Then, if its under warranty, we trade it for the replacement, and the dealer gets the old corpse. If out of warranty, we toss it and buy the Works unit in most cases, or I suppose some owners buy a replacement OEM shock. Either way, the old OEM shock is just about worthless.

If someone DID take off the factory unit while the bike was nearly new, and replaced it with a new Works shock, I'm guessing they could sell the nearly new shock for a few hundred bucks and partially offset the cost for the new Works unit....not a bad idea I guess!

By the way....45,000 miles is probably a good life for that unit...its not known for long life...although some riders say they have more than 75,000 miles on one. Mine lasted just over 21,000 miles before it cratered.

the guy that told me about adding oil thru the air line had triked his RSV, and he kept the mono shock and added two air bags...

I assume most trikes would do the same...duuno.

But if this experiment doesn't pan out I am going top order the Works and just limp on the old busted shock till it arrives.

Not too thrilled at tearing it down twice but ya do what ya gotta do...I am in Michigan..it could be snowing in two weeks...LOL

the guy that told me about adding oil thru the air line had triked his RSV, and he kept the mono shock and added two air bags...

I assume most trikes would do the same...duuno.

Lots of different trike kits out there, I wouldn't think too many would re-use a known weak point. But, I don't know fer sure.

I am in Michigan..it could be snowing in two weeks...LOL

Boy, I hope it waits 2 weeks.:scratchchin:

I was thinkin' about going over the top on the way to the International next week.

Later, Scooter Bob

Last I checked, PartShark had an OEM shock for around 450 after shipping. Remember that any shock 99-2010 WILL work on the RSV. The ones that are 2004 and older seem to be much more expensive than the later years. Also, dealer pricing varies quite a bit store to store. In the case of my local [yamaha] dealer, the price varies depending on which person you talk to... One told me 615, the next told me 800. :think:

By the way, Works claims that you should expect a 2-6 week 'build' time. It too me 7.5 weeks to get mine. The shipping time was only 2 days. The best I could tell by the last person that I talked with (which was BY FAR more helpful than anyone else I dealt with) said that he was personally responsible for ordering the spring that goes on it and someone had dropped the ball in letting him know that he needed to order one for an RSV. So, I guess I should have been a little more aggressive in bugging them to figure out where my shock was.

I know that several folks on here have had good experience with them, and I am quite happy with the shock, don't get me wrong, but the customer service (at least the first two people I talked to) left quite a bit to be desired.

Also, I haven't taken the time to look for it, but someone has posted within the last week or so saying that they just triked their bike (249 miles on it, if I recall correctly) and had a shock to sell. You could do a little searching and possibly have one in hand for a reasonable price in the next week or so.

:080402gudl_prv:

EDIT: Found the thread - better jump on this REAL quick if you want an OEM replacement yesterday. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49683&highlight=shock

Edited by LilBeaver
Added link