IGNORED

Problem with audio after y adapter installed

I added a y adapter to my AUX input as suggested here so that my garmin could be plugged in. I thought I would still be able to listen to my iPod through the AUX input by the cassette deck.

Unfortunately, now when I plug my iPod in (even when the gps is off). The audio is extremely weak. I discovered by accident that if I touch the back off the iPod to the fuel filler cap that the audio is normal!!

I need to take it all apart again. Perhaps my plug became disconnected while I taped it. It's weird though because I certainly tested it??? The grounding thing is really strange too...

The gps audio is fine...

You should never connect more than one device to the aux input at the same time, even with a splitter installed to make two jacks available.

That is a typical problem. It is also not uncommon to actually smoke the audio output in one system when you just plug them together like that. The problem is that the audio amps and jacks are not designed to ever be connected to a different device, so sometimes the amp output is effectively pumped straight into the ground of the other device. When both devices are powered from the bike's 12V system, that creates a ground loop back to the first device, and THAT'S when the smoke starts.

There are various devices you can buy or make that solve this problem, but few are available specifically for a motorcycle. I have not personally used this device, but either one or two of them in your splitter circuit would probably solve your problem:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI1...r.html?tp=2653

Here is one specific for a bike, but it is expensive - over $100:

http://www.cellset.com/AuxSwitchSet2.html

Goose

I took out my cassette deck from my 83VR and made a multiple access port for Ipods and GPS.I put a resister accross one of my inputs as to not have the aux swamped by the different impedances of the units.It seems to work.:thumbsup: