IGNORED

tci where to check for cracks in soilder joints

Hi I am still hunting down my idleing promblem did find that plug wires were bad number 2 is now firing. I removed the tci and checked the plugs looked ok cleaned them up, I saw on a thread about resoildering the unit I look but could not find it, can anyone tell where it is are how you would do it. I took the top off but didnt go any deeper do you have to take the board out and if so how would you get it out, kind of nervise about it But got to learn some day. I want to relocate it to top of air box but the wires dont look long enough.am I not seeing all the wire. thanks for all the help Darrell

Hi Darrell,

When you remove the top, the joints you are looking for are across the front where the pins come out. There may be a couple more on the board, I'm sure someone will post a pic or two. The wires are long enuff to move the TCI, you just gotta re-wrangle them up around the left side to do it. You've already got the breather box and the battery box out, right? Easy to do at that point.

Good luck,

Dano

The main area that gets "weakened" over time is the main (right angle) connectors to the circuit board. The proper technique is to put the soldering iron on the TIP of the pin protruding through the board... let THIS heat up until the solder around it softens and then add a TINY bit of new solder.

The main upgrade between 84 and 89 was to upgrade the power diodes from glass (blue and gray and prone to failure) diodes to ceramic covered 1N4001 types. If you happen to be able to remove the board you will find these 8 "power" diodes around the output transistors near the main connection. This shows half of the output transistors and the "culprit" diodes (4 shown). If you find the blue/gray types, replace them.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/tci1.jpg