IGNORED

Avon Venom Wear measurment

GeorgeS

OK, my new Avon, ( installed last May ) just turned the clock at 8,000 miles, yesterday.

I decided to measure the tread wear, as best my old eyes can see.

On sides where tread is not worn, at deepest point, I measure 5/16 tread depth.

Dead center of tire, I measure 3/16, of rubber depth.

So, it should make 14K, and maby 16K. Anyway, sombody might be interested in that information. ( for whatever its worth )

can you estimate how much of your riding was two up and have you pulled a trailer with them on? I'd be interested to see how they faired. I only got 6k on the last Dunlop but somewhere around 5.5k was done two and with a trailer.

Thanks,

Erns

OK, my new Avon, ( installed last May ) just turned the clock at 8,000 miles, yesterday.

I decided to measure the tread wear, as best my old eyes can see.

On sides where tread is not worn, at deepest point, I measure 5/16 tread depth.

Dead center of tire, I measure 3/16, of rubber depth.

So, it should make 14K, and maby 16K. Anyway, sombody might be interested in that information. ( for whatever its worth )

Sounds accurate to me. I got 15.5K miles off my rear.

Other than some some mild cupping, my Avon is looking real good on the back with around 8,000 miles also. The front tire looks almost new with this mileage. This is with mostly two-up and with about 1,500 miles pulling a 450 camper thru the mountains. I have really tried to monitor tire pressure on these tires routinely.

RandyA

My Avon is an " H " .

No two up rideing. No trailer -----

About 5k high speed on two trips, the rest, low and mid speed local driveing. I usually carry about 30lb. of junk in the bags. Had about 50lb. on the two trips of extra wgt.

Ol' Erns, you must have a D-404. Don't buy them anymore. They are good tires for a 500 lb motorcycle. They might cost less, however consider, all the extra cost of changing them twice as often, especially for those folks that pay a dealer to do the work.

But if you want to stay with Dunlop, I would suggest the Dunlop Elite Series. They are built for the big Gold Wings. Far better tire. I ran one to 14K, and removed it. I am sure it would have went another 2K at least. Also, I cut a cross section out of the old tire, It has 1/2 inch of rubber after it worn smooth. ( Its posted somplace here )

Does anybody out there have a worn out Avon, they could cut out a cross section, and take some close up photo's to post. I would like to see how much rubber is below the wear bars on the Avon's ??

Also, the Dunlop,s and the Michelan Commander, and the Conti.

I would like to see a cut out of all the popular tires that fit the Ventures. !!!!