In the process of getting ready to adjust the valves, I find I don't have anything that will turn the crankshaft. What did anyone successfully use to turn the crank after removing the crome cover? 17mm won't go in the hole, 16 goes but won't fit the bolt. So far, I haven't found a thin wall 17mm. I've got grinder, and I'm not opposed to it, but grinding the wall of a 17 just don't seem right - somehow.

tks

chuck

I do not know what I can offer to help you, as I do not understand the problem to which you refer at all. I have never had a problem using any standard socket, either 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive. BTW - the 1/2 drive is a much better option, since the larger/longer ratchet give you much better leverage to easily position the crank just where you want it.

Perhaps you have not remove the thin metal plate that fits inside that cover? It just lifts straight out with your finger - no tools needed. Good luck,

Goose

Why is this post subjected 'axle bolt'? Is the axle somehow related to the crankshaft?

Dave

crankshaft connected to trans - trans connected to driveshaft - drive shaft connected to ring/pinion-ring/pinion connected to the rear wheel - rear wheel held on by the axle bolt ------ do you see the connection now ???

It's called 'axle' because I had just finished fighting the front axle bolt out of my strom and had axle on the brain. On the way out the shop door to generate this thread, my tire guy called and said the front tire for the strom had just come in, so I thought I'd just stop and pull the wheel. Good times linger.

crankshaft connected to trans - trans connected to driveshaft - drive shaft connected to ring/pinion-ring/pinion connected to the rear wheel - rear wheel held on by the axle bolt ------ do you see the connection now ???

Plausible...

It's called 'axle' because I had just finished fighting the front axle bolt out of my strom and had axle on the brain. On the way out the shop door to generate this thread, my tire guy called and said the front tire for the strom had just come in, so I thought I'd just stop and pull the wheel. Good times linger.

Ah, mystery solved! :happy65:

I've recently begun saying one thing while meaning another. I tell my wife it's because geniuses frequently think faster than their mouths can talk, so I am mentioning something several discussions in the future. Not sure she believes me. :buttkick:

Dave