IGNORED

rear shock leak?????

My rear shock just started leaking, 2000 rsv with about 20,000 miles on it. How long can i ride on it before I need to replace it? Cash flow is low.. :95: And what's it going to cost to replace it?

They are pricey $500-600.

Don't know the answer to the second question... sorry about that.

Try Pinwall on the ebay.

... How long can i ride on it before I need to replace it? ...

I'm guessing that you'll have some that will say to not touch your bike until you get a new one on, and some say that you could ride it forever. However, I rode mine for about 2 months (after it started leaking) before replacing the shock. Handling was affected some and the ride quality also declined, but, it is my main source of transportation so I rode it anyways.

There was a member that posted I think within maybe the last week that he had triked his bike and only had about 275 miles on his rear shock - you might could work out a deal with him so you aren't paying hte 450+ for an OEM one, or the 700 for the works.

My suggestion would be to, first of all, make sure you clean the oil up the best you can (to make sure that you don't get any on that rear tire), put some air in the shock (if you don't have any in there) then take it out for a test ride - take it easy on the leans and see how it feels. If you are comfortable driving it, then enjoy - if not, then park it. I felt the most unstable during really hard cornering, the rear end would be rather unpredictable if I was leaned way over, but other than that, I still managed to ride okay.

Oh yea, and replacing the shock itself is a piece of cake and there is plenty of information on this site to help you out with it, so, don't pay some shop lots of money to do it for you!

:080402gudl_prv:

The oil looks like clean engine oil. Yamaha refused to do anything about mine at first and I rode it for several months. Then it started leaking the air out about as fast as I put it in and at that point they fixed it. My replacement has already lasted a lot longer than the original but my plan is to go aftermarket if it ever fails again.

I wiped up the spot on the garage floor last night before I went to bed and I just checked it and the spot is as big as it was last night. How much oil is in there?

Quite a bit. The book says that the front holds 18.7 fl. Oz., and while it does not (or I didn't find it at least) indicate how much the rear holds, I would estimate (based on what I found on my garage floor) somewhere between 10 and 20 fl. oz. some folks seem to have indicated that their shock let loose of the oil all at once, but mine seemed to leak out continuously for several days.

Took the bike for a ride last night with the wife, about 50 miles. Cleaned the shock off before I left. Got home looked at it and nothing was dripping from it. Let it sit over night and still nothing. Then I got to thinking, could it have been oil from the over flow tube that sprayed onto the shock. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on friday for about 2 hours in the heat. Could my oil have over flowed a little and spayed onto the shock after I got going again?