IGNORED

OEM Windshield Confusion

My new-to-me 97 Tour Classic came with a Yamaha Windshield. It measures 23 1/2 inches from the headlight opening to the top. I assumed that was the "Tall" that was originally on the bike.

The shield itself has the protective coating pealing off really badly which makes looking through it when the sun hits near impossible. So since I need a new windshield anyway, I am trying to purchase a "Medium" so that I can look over the top.

Now as far as I can tell checking data from various websites the Yamaha windshields come in three sizes each 3 inches shorter than the next:

1. Tall - 23 1/2 inches
  2. Medium - 20 1/2 inches
  3. Short - 17 1/2 inches

So twice now I have won auctions from two different sellers on E-Bay selling a Medium Royal Star Windshield. Problem is when I get them they measure 17 1/2 inches which I believe to be a short - not the medium I thought I was buying. The first one the seller stated he was unsure and just "thought" it was a medium and took it back. The last one even had the following part number on it: STR-4NL07-10-00, which, when I looked it up showed a medium, but when I just opened the box it measures 17 1/2 inches again.

So, as sit here for a second time very frustrated:

• What is the true measurement of the Yamaha "Medium"?
  • What Yamaha Part Number should I be looking for if I want a medium shield for a 97 Tour Classic?

Push come to shove...you can always get the tall one and have it cut down to your specs. Not expensive, my local glass shop did mine for around $25. Being that your planning on replacing the one you got, that would made a good canidate.

• 2 weeks later...

You should take a look the Clear View shields I bought one and it is perfect. It also comes with a vent that can be opened and closed which is real handy in hot weather. The shields come in various sizes and is cheaper and more durable than Yamaha's.

Good luck:lightbulb:

Hello: I am going through the same pains. The shield that came on my 2005 RSTD was too tall for me 23.5 inches. I did not like looking through it, and could not look over it unless I strained. I am 5'7" tall. My dealer measured me and thought a 17" shield would be the best fit. When it arrived they traded me straight accross and installed it for me. I now love looking over the new shield, but of course now I get more wind and must ride with my Nolan Helmet shield down over 35 mph. Not sure how it performs in the rain? I have a friend that also has a 2005 RSTD his shield appears to be 19.5 inches tall. I have not had time to try it. I am looking for a 19.5 inch windshield? Hope that helps?...

You could go with a CeeBaily's shield. I have one that I use at times and I like it. Check out their website.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/royalstarws.html

Thanks for the tip!

I ended up buying from CeeBaily's; I got the exact size I wanted at significantly less than any OEM shield I had seen anywhere. Delivery was about 1 1/2 weeks. Only caveat is that you need to use all the chrome from the original shield, but for me I have no use for the original shield due to the coating peeling off, so it worked out perfectly. Cleaned, polished and waxed everything and it all looked brand new when put together.

My '07 oem was too tall. I decided to tried to cut it myself. What did I have to lose? I was going to buy another one anyhow. It was amazingly easy. I covered the front with gift wrapping paper and taped the edges. Mark the height you want. Use a string and pencil to draw desired radius. Set a jigsaw on medium speed and fine tooth blade. It cut like butter... cut slowly to stay online then use a fine sanding block to even the edge and tada! It looks like it was manufactured. Plus it is the exact height I wanted.

Good luck for anyone who wants to try... remember if you are going to buy one anyhow... nothing to lose.