IGNORED

Slow Air Leak, Ride On Sealant

indianriverjack

> I developed a slow leak in my front Avon Tire this Spring and have been adding some air about once a week. This past week I had my local dealer replace my rear tire and had him take a look into my front tire leak, what he found was a white corosion on my rims, he polished them out with a rotary wire brush and that seems to have taken care of my leak. I was sold on the Ride On Tire Sealant untill now, but I am not planning on putting it back in my tires because of the corosion problems. I was wondering if any other members are having the same problem........Jack

" Keep The Shinny Side Up and the Rubber Side Down....." :fatsmiley:

I replaced the front tire last fall for leaking around the rim but I blame it on it being an aluminium rim. I run ride on in the bike tires but I do not think that is the issue. I have aluminium rims on my cars and they have leaked around the rim too through corrosion and I have no ride on in them? I will continue to use ride on for what is is designed to do and do not believe it is the cause of corrosion.

> The rear tire that I replaced also had a White Buildup on the tire where it contacted the rim, I ask the mechanic if he had seen the same on other alloy rims that were not using the sealant, he said that he had not, maybe it was something in the Avon Tires reacting with it. The rims just had a chalk like buildup on them but were not pitted. I don't know, just looking for some ideas. Several of the other members speak highly of the Ride On Sealant.

Jack..................

> The rear tire that I replaced also had a White Buildup on the tire where it contacted the rim, I ask the mechanic if he had seen the same on other alloy rims that were not using the sealant, he said that he had not, maybe it was something in the Avon Tires reacting with it. The rims just had a chalk like buildup on them but were not pitted. I don't know, just looking for some ideas. Several of the other members speak highly of the Ride On Sealant.

Jack..................

Could be sweat from the tire installer. Touch the rim with sweaty hands along the bead and it'll cause corrosion. Just a thought. :confused07:

> I developed a slow leak in my front Avon Tire this Spring and have been adding some air about once a week. This past week I had my local dealer replace my rear tire and had him take a look into my front tire leak, what he found was a white corosion on my rims, he polished them out with a rotary wire brush and that seems to have taken care of my leak. I was sold on the Ride On Tire Sealant untill now, but I am not planning on putting it back in my tires because of the corosion problems. I was wondering if any other members are having the same problem........Jack

Did he put any sealant on the cleaned area of the rim? If not it was a temporary fix and will corrode and leak again, soon.

The rims have an anodized finish on them which is not just for looks but also adds corrosion protection, and the wire brush will remove that finish. With no finish it will corrode quickly.

There is a black brush on sealant that every tire shop has that works well for sealing the aluminum rim after cleaning the corrosion off.

Isn't Ride on supposed to help with leaks? I would have thought it would have stopped any leaks as they develop.

Aluminum rims will corrode...any aluminum will eventually corrode. The rims on my 300C Chrysler are aluminum and have a plastic cap over 98% of the wheel. Only the edge where the weights attach are exposed, and it has a hard plastic coating that the weights break and then water gets in every place where wheel weights go. In 5 years the edges of my wheels were black with corrosion. I took a scraper and scraped off the loose plastic and sanded down the edges. Will have to do this each year.

As for Ride-on, it coats the inside of the tread area and a little ways up the sidewall, but that is it. It won't get to the rim or the valve stem.

I ask the mechanic if he used any sealant on the rims like they do in tire shops and he told me that they didn't do that on motorcycle rims as it was a liability issue, he said that he does use a light coating of silicone lube on them. I guess I will see what the look like the next time I change out a tire, I just havn't decided yet if I am going to put Ride On Sealant back in them, I like the security it provides for punctures. :think:

Thanks for your input, Jack.....................