IGNORED

Fuel gauge

frankc

Good morning everyone,

The question i have is about the fuel gauge on my 08 RSV. As the bars reduce to empty is this an indication of the whole tank or is the reserve still intact?

A few of my freinds ride with the fuel pet-cock on reserve, but i try to tell them if they ever run out of gas, thats it !!! they'll be pushing. So i was wondering if the fuel gauge on my RSV reads the reserve gas. Also how far can i expect to go on a reserve before runnung out?

Thanks and have a safe summer

Frank

On my '99 I hit the "F" count down (or up) with two bars showing. Between 7-17 I usually have to switch to reserve. I'm sure this varies on each bike. You also have a "low fuel" light that will come on to let you know to start looking for gas.

The low fuel light comes on before I have to switch over to reserve.

I have ridden 30 miles on reserve.

BTW it is good idea to run the bike on reserve from time to time to get the junk from out of the bottom of the tank......

If you ever run out of gas on this machine, you are not paying any attention.

All these indicators occur, some shortly before, some shortly after, the main tank runs out:

1) Fuel gauge changes from 'bars' to 'F' and displays a count-up odometer. This usually happens somewhere between 1 and 2 bars on the guage.

2) The main tank will run dry and you need to switch to reserve. Total tank capacity is 5.9 gal, reserve is 0.9 gal of this.

3) There is an indicator light (orange, IIRC) that advises low fuel.

4) Your passenger will smack in the back of the helmet to advise you the need to stop at the nearest gas station. This is the indication that usually gets my attention.

RR

Guest tx2sturgis

BTW it is good idea to run the bike on reserve from time to time to get the junk from out of the bottom of the tank......

Yeah...much better to run the junk through the engine and/or clog the fuel filter than to let it sit harmlessly in the bottom of the tank.

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis