IGNORED

2007 RSV saddlebag hinge plate mounting screw failure. Has this happened to anyone??

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. On my right saddlebag the screws that hold the hinge mount plate to the bottom of the bag (see attached pics) are failing. The screws screw into the molded plastic and the plastic is disintegrating. To me it looks like they were overtightened at the factory. I just notice this a few monthes back. The left bag has no issues. I have been very careful not to overload or overpack the bags. I will be talking to my dealer about warranty and want to make sure I have as much info as possible. Comments appreciated. Thanks JR

Had a problem with the screws coming loose and just used low strength lock tight with no further problems. LOl by the way the bike is also an 07.

For anyone reading this thread - DO NOT NOT NOT use locktite on ABS plastic!! Loctite will eat the plastic!

Goose

For anyone reading this thread - DO NOT NOT NOT use locktite on ABS plastic!! Loctite will eat the plastic!

Goose

Speaking of which, what's the glue you used to make repairs to my front lower fairing? I have to make repairs to that side bag after all, I found it cracked two days later =(

Good repairs on the lower fairing though, wow.. great stuff.

It was just ABS pipe joint compound, used for assembling plastic pipe. You can get it at any hardware store. Just make sure it is either just for ABS pipe or the universal stuff labeled for PVC, CPVC and ABS. As long as it is specifically says ABS, it will work.

Only two things are particularly important when you use it. First, the solvent must be fresh and liquid. An old can will be thick and gooey - that would still work OK for pipe, but not for plastic repair.

Next, use plenty of solvent on both pieces - this will melt the plastic and allow it to weld together. Wiggling the parts against each other a bit when you put them together will help. Now you must let it completely cure - at least 3 or four hours in the sun - to allow all the solvent to flash off. If you use it too soon, the joint will fail, but if it is fully cured, it will be just as strong as new.

If you are repairing a piece with a finished surface, be careful to keep all the extra goo on the INSIDE, as the solvent will mar the outside very quickly.

Goose

If you are repairing a piece with a finished surface, be careful to keep all the extra goo on the INSIDE, as the solvent will mar the outside very quickly.

Goose

ahh good point yes, the side of the bag cover has a split it in from the tool falling on it, I should be able to lay a bead on the inside of the lid to keep it solid and stopping the crack from propagating any farther along the lid. Thanks again for the keen tips.