IGNORED

Another one of my letters got published in the newspaper...

Guest human4m

I agree with tx2sturgis. If "your" animal causes harm to anything, you personally, are held responsible. If your dog kills your neighbors dog, your dog should be put to sleep and you 'at the very least' get to buy your neighbor a new dog. If it kills your neighbor, you need jail time as well as replacing the wages to your neighbor to their family, for starters... People need to take responsibility for their actions.

My mom had a neighbor that moved in and had a very aggressive doberman pincher. Every time she took her dog for a walk in her back yard the thing went beserk. I started taking her dog for walks for a while and was hoping the thing would jump the fence while I was there(I had a surprise for him:no-no-no:). Bought mom a 38 cal as I couldn't be there all the time. Ended up resolving itself as the guy was a drug dealer and he went where he deserved to be, for a very long time. He had trained the dog to be the way it was.

I'm not for getting rid of all dogs of a certain breed, but, if one harms one of mine, it's gonna get a HOLE in it, afterwhich people can feel free to discuss it in any manner they so choose.:doh:

We had a pit once, our neighbors and people from the neighborhood would taunt it and throw rocks and sticks at it. The dog was in an electric fence and could not get closer then 25 ft. from the road. She "vanished" one night. Great dog! Yes, she was protective, as the UPS guy found out when he was piddlefarting around about leaving; but it was our miniature Dachshund that led the charge when Brenda told the guy to 'Move'. Oh, ... he was fine, didn't dillydally around anymore either when he needed to make a delivery at our place.

I'm sorry you lost your dog, it has apparrently colored your judgement. Funny thing about life: it happens. As a sampling, I've had a cat torn to ribbons by a German Shepard, another was killed by three of my neighbors dogs, our Dachshund was killed by neighbors dogs (of course he was too stupid to realize he should back down) and I've watched a neighbor run over another of our cats. I didn't write letters to the editor, I didn't demand justice, I didn't call for the licensing or "control" of certain breeds (mutts included), I dealt with it and moved on!

I have to wonder though, what does it say about a person who feels the need to walk his dog with a loaded gun in his hand?

Respectfully,

Guest human4m

I'm sorry you lost your dog, it has apparrently colored your judgement.

Respectfully,

If it were just this one case in my life of a Pit Bull being the culprit, I could (by all means) see where I was being ridiculous by writing the paper... Unfortunately it's not. There have been several instances that I have either witnessed first hand, or been the victim of.

I have to wonder though, what does it say about a person who feels the need to walk his dog with a loaded gun in his hand?

Perhaps a difference in demographics might be the issue in understanding this part. I live in the woods. (For lack of better description.) Do a Google Map search for Hoffman Forest Road, Richlands, NC 28574. You'll see topography of grass, trees and dirt, with a few houses on the road.

Yes, I wear a shoulder harness with a loaded pistol under my left armpit... After what just happened, knowing that the dog who killed mine is STILL living down the road, along with several other pit bulls...What does it say about a person who DOESN'T feel the need to walk their dog with a loaded pistol? It says they either don't care, they're irresponsible, or stupid.

Guest human4m
I agree with tx2sturgis. If "your" animal causes harm to anything, you personally, are held responsible. If your dog kills your neighbors dog, your dog should be put to sleep and you 'at the very least' get to buy your neighbor a new dog.

I wish it were that simple, but I don't want the $40 I paid for her, or the money I invested in vet fees for shots, checkups, and treatments. She was a bargain bin puppy that nobody wanted because she was 'ugly' and had an overbite... It's impossible to replace Taffy, she was just like one of the kids. Innocent, sweet, and almost 18 months old.

I just want retribution. An eye for an eye. Their dog BRUTALLY killed mine. It was a bloodbath, and my dog didn't even stand a chance. It was like an adult with 12 gauge vs. a toddler. She was completely defenseless. I'd be content with shotting their dog in the head with my .40, but since it's tucked way in the back, I'll have to deal with a couple 100 yard .17 cal shots in the chest.

Even then, it won't solve anything, other than my personal twisted desire for revenge... I'll feel that much better.

There is a poster (smduckie1967) to that article who's last sentence reads ... "just becareful when you around any type of dog because you can never tell what they will do"

I found his comment rather humorous considering how he praised his pitt. However, there is a lot of truth to his statement.

I've had a few dogs over the years too. One was a 130Lb Shepherd/Malemute cross, another was a 9Lb Chihuahua/Terrier cross. Let me tell you, that little dog was fearless and aggressive and would bite you if you annoyed it. Not so with the big one. The point being is, any sized dog can be an aggressive/viscious dog prone to attacking and/or biting. The problem with the Pitbulls is that they have extremely powerful jaws and when they attack, they do so to maime and/or kill. Unfortunately, the Pitbulls have it in their genes to do that so it's hard to determine which ones will or which ones won't. The one's that won't, I will agree, are great pets. I'd love to have any dog that can be guaranteed to be that way but that will never happen so for me, a Pitbull will never be a dog of mine, nor will I trust one regardless of how passive it's owner says it is.

http://leerburg.com/pitbull.htm

I dont know how many stories are reported there...but its quite a few.

From that page:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention examined U.S. dog-attack fatalities from 1979 to 1998. During that period, dogs killed more than 300 Americans, and pit bulls, either purebred or crossbred, accounted for 76 of the deaths, the most of any breed. Purebred or crossbred Rottweillers were responsible for 44 deaths, the second highest. The CDC concluded that Rottweillers and pit bulls were responsible for 67 percent of fatal attacks.

And this another perfect example of why I can not (and you should not) believe ANYTHING from the CDC. 76+44=120 that is 40% of 300 not 67%. How can you believe their stats on something complex, when they can not do 3rd grade math. They are all about their agenda and to heck with the truth.

Comparing dogs to guns is totally irrational.

I have many guns, not once has one jumped up and ran out the door and killed something. A gun is an inanimate object that is only capable of doing what its owner asks, A dog is a living breathing animal with a mind of its own and may or may not be under some semblance of control of its owner.

Yes I have an English Springer Spaniel that is my best friend and hunting buddy. As Springers go she turned out to be a monster at 78 lbs (standard for the breed is 45lbs). Springers are very well known for their mild temperment (although a bit hyper) and are supposed to be great with kids. (I have no kids and will not experiment on someone elses)

A few months ago some drunk thought it would be fun to come onto my property and kick the crap out of my dog while she was on a leash and could not get away. His leg is still in a cast, the dog did not hurt him... but now this sweet dog shows aggression to ANYONE that smells like cigarettes or alcohol. This has me worried and I have been working hard with her to overcome this fear. At 78 lbs she is very capable of doing great damage to any person. I take this possibility very seriously and take many steps to protect others.

I have had to take out one dog with a 2 lb ballpeen hammer that attacked me from behind while I was bent over under the hood of my car in my backyard. I am big enough and with the aid of the hammer the Siberian Husky did not get in a second bite. My 6 year old daughter would not have fared as well.

OK I'll get off my soap box now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjoe viewpost.gif

I agree with tx2sturgis. If "your" animal causes harm to anything, you personally, are held responsible. If your dog kills your neighbors dog, your dog should be put to sleep and you 'at the very least' get to buy your neighbor a new dog.

I wish it were that simple, but I don't want the $40 I paid for her, or the money I invested in vet fees for shots, checkups, and treatments. She was a bargain bin puppy that nobody wanted because she was 'ugly' and had an overbite... It's impossible to replace Taffy, she was just like one of the kids. Innocent, sweet, and almost 18 months old.

I just want retribution. An eye for an eye. Their dog BRUTALLY killed mine. It was a bloodbath, and my dog didn't even stand a chance. It was like an adult with 12 gauge vs. a toddler. She was completely defenseless. I'd be content with shotting their dog in the head with my .40, but since it's tucked way in the back, I'll have to deal with a couple 100 yard .17 cal shots in the chest.

Even then, it won't solve anything, other than my personal twisted desire for revenge... I'll feel that much better.

Yeah I hear you, you can never replace what is lost...

My mother is 72 and I know for a fact she would have gotten between her dog to save it and the doberman, and, I really don't want to think ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF THAT. You see I really don't want to go to jail, but, if anything ever happened to her, because of an aggressive dog and owner, well, lets just say I believe in "eye for an eye" and leave it at that.

And no I don't need a gun to neutralize a dog, a shirt around ones forearm offered to an aggressive dog with the thumb up so they cant puncture any veins while grasping the back of its head and pushing it into the ground solves the problem equally as well. Probably would give the "victum" more satisfaction as well.

Guest tx2sturgis
And this another perfect example of why I can not (and you should not) believe ANYTHING from the CDC. 76+44=120 that is 40% of 300 not 67%. How can you believe their stats on something complex, when they can not do 3rd grade math. They are all about their agenda and to heck with the truth.

Fuzzy math. I just grabbed a few things off the net...there are lots of articles related to this.

I agree, the CDC may not the best source for this type of data, but because of the intermixed breeds and other fuzzy information, it may be hard to figure out what the EXACT numbers might be. Owners may not admit to owning certain types of dogs when they attack someone...'breed unknown'...or mixed: "No sir! that was a stray border collie, not my neighbors pit bull!"...that sort of thing...when the autopsy says otherwise.

Still...with hundreds of attacks and the stories to back them up, I stand with my earlier assertions. Pit bulls CAN be deadly, to others and to the owners...and are unpredictable.

Guest human4m

It looks like 'Fate' had it's hands in things today. I came home on lunch because my wife said there were two snarling dogs on the porch that wouldn't let her outside. I got there, and sure enough they acted like I was on their property, and they were circling and I'm pretty sure they wanted to eat me. It turns out that one of them is the Pit Bull that killed my little dog last month.

They're both dead now, and Animal Control is trying to say it's animal cruelty for shooting them. They can kiss my pond monster.

As an owner, if you are so devoted to the breed, how about this? If your dog kills someone's pet...YOU get sentenced to prison for 5 years? And if it kills or seriously maims a human ( other than an armed intruder) then YOU get the electric chair or lethal injection...not that different from the penalities resulting from me using a gun to commit a murder. Would you be wiling TODAY to sign your life away if your dog ever maims or kills someone? Are you willing to DIE for your animal? NO? But your asking others to be willing to DIE so that you may continue to own them.

I agree to that comment and is why I brought it up. I would gladly go to prison or DETH it my bully did that.

I'm guessing most people don't NEED a damn pitbull..they just WANT one...its all about ego...so lives get put in danger because someone WANTS to have a pitbull. Taking multiple paragraphs to explain how useful or loving they are...does not justify owning one in my mind. And having them bite you because you rolled over on it...and you have to go get medical care...that should be a tipoff that things could get nasty.

I got my first bully as a rescue dog, His owner was not taking care of them when thay wear born and was taken by the SPCA and sent out for adoption, that's when i got him at 6 weeks old. As for biting me, well I'm a big man and I'm sure I was hurting him and if it wear any other bread the same would have happened to me. I was in the wrong for allowing them to be in that situation.

I'm not against keeping dangerous animals per-say...people keep rattlesnakes and scorpions and you never hear of attacks on neighbors. But owners of pitbulls frequently lose control of those animals, and they roam the neighborhoods looking for victims, and unlike other dogs, are able to easily KILL innocent people without provocation.

You haven't ben watching the news lately in Florida and Alabama, They seem to be having a surge of deaths related to pet pythons and boas getting loos.

Yes, I wear a shoulder harness with a loaded pistol under my left armpit... After what just happened, knowing that the dog who killed mine is STILL living down the road, along with several other pit bulls...What does it say about a person who DOESN'T feel the need to walk their dog with a loaded pistol? It says they either don't care, they're irresponsible, or stupid.

It sounds like a perfect opportunity to put another dog in danger just to go down the road and taunt the other dogs and hope thay cum in the road just to exact your revenge and unload your gun.

It looks like 'Fate' had it's hands in things today. I came home on lunch because my wife said there were two snarling dogs on the porch that wouldn't let her outside. I got there, and sure enough they acted like I was on their property, and they were circling and I'm pretty sure they wanted to eat me. It turns out that one of them is the Pit Bull that killed my little dog last month.

They're both dead now, and Animal Control is trying to say it's animal cruelty for shooting them. They can kiss my pond monster.

I rest my case.

Guest PlaneCrazy

They finally banned pit bulls and similar dogs in Ontario here back in 2005 (I think). Current owners can keep them but no new ones will be allowed. I think they also have to be muzzled whenever out in public.

I fully support this law. I don't care about stats or studies or arguments about the injustices against animals. I care about my children and my neighbour's children. A pit bull was bred to do one thing and you can't erase hundreds of generations of breeding in one generation. A strong willed owner may control an animal, but you never know when that animal is going to react to some stimuli that you can't control.

I also believe that no dog should ever be left alone with a child. Even the most mild mannered of breeds can be provoked to violence by a child if there's no adult there to control things. I get sick when I read about a child mauled by the family pet. Almost every story of such tragedies starts out with the family saying "But he's a gentle dog and has never even hurt a fly before..."