IGNORED

Newbie with headlamp issues

Hi all, just got a 83 Venture xvz12 and have some headlamp issues. Somewhere down the line someone jumped the headlamp power wire directly to the headlamp. All I have is lowbeam and the icon on the display is lit up and a flashing warning lite. I suspect the Reserve lighting unit may be bad, I have battery voltage going to it at the green/red wire if I remember correctly. Is there a way to test this unit or bypass it? What exactly does this unit do? The manual does not seem to be a wealth of info here. Any other suggestions? Any input greatly appreciated,thanks, Neil.

I'll try that, I already have the unit out of the bike. Perhaps I should add a little more info. When I removed the added jumper and put everything back the way it should be, I have no voltage at all at the headlamp connector. Neither high or low beam connector has juice. Any other info you folks may need?

Look at thread below.

Possible cause is bad solder joints in CMU unit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33328

Gary

:sign yeah that:

I would backstab pins of cmu for voltage in and out before anything else.

Dingy has some good easy to read schematics

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/83%20Yamaha%20Venture%20TK%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Rev%20C.pdf

1st check for 12v into cmu on Green for low beam and Yellow/red for high beam. Then check for same 12v out of cmu Green/red for low beam and Yellow/green for high beam.

If you have voltage in, but not out you have the broken solder joint problem internal the cmu. Likely the reason it was bypassed to start with.:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for your input folks, this is greatly appreciated. Electrical is not my strong point. I checked for voltage incoming to the CMU and only have 4.4 volts coming in, also checked the connector coming from the LH switch and same voltage there. Please steer me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it's time to take the dimmer switch and maybe the starter switch apart and check connections inside. Sound logical?

Found it! Took LH switch apart for cleaning and found a broken solder joint on one of the wires, fixed that and voila, I have lights. Went ahead and did the resolder fix on the display anyway, a couple of joints looked questionable. Thanks a lot for your input! The procedure for the switch cleaning I found in the tech section is great! Thanks again, Neil.