IGNORED

Clutch Lever Disassembly

Tonight I decided to pull off my clutch lever to clean out the junk in there.. I'd been having some odd noises from the lever and it felt kind of odd from time to time.. So apart it went tonight.. and wow, what a frikken mess in there!

Take off the nut, turn out the pivot bolt, and pull the lever off making sure to catch the brass holder.. everything was dark gunk mess in there.. no wonder it was feeling weird.

A good cleaning and I discover the dust boot is torn to heck, exposing the push rod (plunger) to the elements.. Hmm wondering how munged up it might be inside of all there?

I got everything re-assembled and lubed it up with Moly for now as I can't figure out what's best to lube it all up with properly. The one thing I do notice now is though the lever travels sooo much easier, it's also a lot more sloppy than before. I thought I might have dropped a sleeve from the pivot pin but no.. its simply just sloppy fitting now that all the junk it removed.

I did notice that the brass holder is deformed and worn, and that the dust boot is torn. I'll go down to the shop and order each a new one.. however, how hard is it to install that boot?

Considering the mess that I found, and the amount of slop in the lever play now, might it be worth my while to have the whole thing cleaned out and rebuilt with new seals? The book says to replace the piston seals every 2 years? I ride the bike a lot and in all kinds of weather.. the fluid tends to appear old prematurely, I wonder now if this is where some contamination might be coming in.. ?

Thoughts, ideas or comments appreciated..

Heck, you might as well do the brake lever too. I did mine last week when I put on the chrome levers and both needed cleaning and re-greasing. :)

AHHh point taken! I just finished ordering the clutch parts.. I'll clean out the brake whilst working on the bike right now..

What grease are you using for lube on these parts? I feel mine needs a water barrier kind of thick gunk there.. I do ride in the rain a lot ;)

Plugs, filters, (air and fuel and oil), tighten up some loose parts from the road trip and soon to try to clean off them evil 'Florida Love Bugs' that committed suicide on the front of my bike..

geesus, these things don't come off easy.. but I found a Bug & Tar product that wipes them off, even after their carcasses had baked onto the bike for the past 2 weeks lol.. ewwww

AHHh point taken! I just finished ordering the clutch parts.. I'll clean out the brake whilst working on the bike right now..

What grease are you using for lube on these parts? I feel mine needs a water barrier kind of thick gunk there.. I do ride in the rain a lot ;)

Plugs, filters, (air and fuel and oil), tighten up some loose parts from the road trip and soon to try to clean off them evil 'Florida Love Bugs' that committed suicide on the front of my bike..

geesus, these things don't come off easy.. but I found a Bug & Tar product that wipes them off, even after their carcasses had baked onto the bike for the past 2 weeks lol.. ewwww

I just used some lithium grease bought at autozone, this version was black with some moly in it, not like the Honda moly though. Seems to work since I have ridden in some fairly heavy rains lately.

Oh, the brake has a spring, it will pop out, so watch were it flies too ::))

I just used some lithium grease bought at autozone, this version was black with some moly in it, not like the Honda moly though. Seems to work since I have ridden in some fairly heavy rains lately.

Oh, the brake has a spring, it will pop out, so watch were it flies too ::))

Many thanks!