IGNORED

Works shock does NOT FIT!

LilBeaver

So after hearing everyone say how wonderful these shocks are, 2 months ago I held my nose and placed my order. I was all ready for the 'quick' change out. Old shock off in about 15 minutes (including time to rearrange crap in the garage and get bike up on jack) and as I am lining up the new shock to put it in its place I try to slide the bottom over the part on the swing arm where it is supposed to connect and what do I find? Hmmm. The U part of the bottom of the shock is too small!!!

:rant:

So. I take a deep breath and get the bolt through the top one, thinking I just don't have it lined up quite right or something and now that I've got it all in place (except for the bottom) I am pretty sure that it is just too small.

Has any one else run into this while installing their shock?

7 Weeks and 700 bucks later (not to mention the already questionable customer service from the guy that I put my order in with - but that is a different story for a different day) - and this is what I have. I am NOT a happy camper.

I hope I am just doing something wrong though... :bang head:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

did you try putting that end on first? I seem to remember I had to do that and also I THINK I found it had to go on a certain way with the adjustments directed to the right as you sit on the bike. ALSO,take the battery and battery box out..its no trouble doing this and it will give you more room to work.Also just remembered,I had to file off just a little,in Texas tak a "Smidgen". It was so little all ir did was basically polish the side clean.

Edited by Tom
added info

Trust me it will fit. I got mine last week and I thought the same thing. it fits really tight so it doesnt slap around. I put the bottom one on first and it will require some tapping with a hammer and maybe a punch to lever the hole into place. If not I would just lightly clean up the cast side with a dremel but I dont think you will have too. The top part is no problem. It will go on just need to work it a little. BTW it is easier with the rear tire off too.

Thanks Tom and Scott - that does make me feel a little better, and it sort of saved me from calling and giving them an ear full about this.

I ended up taking the swing arm completely off (greased the bearings while I had it all apart) and worked with it up on the 'work-bench'. After some grinding, some beating, and a LOT of time, I got it on. I am pretty disappointed that it didn't just slide on, but I suppose I'll take that over having problems with that connection being too sloppy.

Now but need to go out and get a nut to replace the one that holds the links to the swing arm. I was torquing it to the recommended value and the threads just sheered right off when I was about 1/4 of the way there.

Now off to go get that nut, then back to make the final adjustments and the test ride. I sure hope that it rides okay and I don't feel that I'll want to send it back to have it done up again.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Well how was the test ride? Are you happy with it?

In another thread, I posted that mine has now failed, and so the wait for a new one under warranty begins.

I tried to text you at the number I had while I was in Amarillo and no luck there.

Well how was the test ride? Are you happy with it?

In another thread, I posted that mine has now failed, and so the wait for a new one under warranty begins.

I tried to text you at the number I had while I was in Amarillo and no luck there.

Howdy.

I was pretty sure I had posted a rather complete review of how I felt about it... Apparently I didn't - sorry about that. I know I certainly don't like when threads are left unresolved.

I'll look around and see if maybe I wrote it up somewhere and didn't post it, or posted it somewhere else.

Sorry that I didn't get back to you, I am currently out of the country at one of the accelerators I use for my research (thusly, my phone is off). This is the first time i've been on this site in a while too, I have been extreemly busy and simply have not had time to get on, read and post.

More in a little bit.