IGNORED

Passing Lamps

Tarl

Hi all. I put a set of Yamaha passing lamps on my 06 RSTD about 3 weeks ago. I have been running with them on all the time in hopes of being more visable on the road. Twice, during daylight hours, I have had cars flash their high beams at me. I believe they think my passing lamps are my high beam lights and I mistakenly have left them on. Do you folks with these lamps leave them on all the time? If so what reactions have you experianced.

I run amber passing lights and a headlight modulator with my high beams on, if they flash then I know I am seen.:sun: Funny though how many cars pull over and let me around thinking I am a cop. Seems they would know by now why our lights flash:doh:, but oh well whatever works.

You might want to check to see how you have them aimed..

HOWEVER if they see you, that is a GOOD thing!!!!!! but if you crest a hill with the sun to your back, they might NOT see you due to to much light from your bike.

different states have different laws on when passing lamps can be on. Some only with high beam, some only with low beam, some it doesn't matter. I would guess most people where you are, are use not use to seeing them.

I run mine all the time, high or low beam, but I do not keep my high beam on all the time.

And for those that do, it is illegal. And I know, your attitude is you would rather chance a ticket than not being seen. But the studies have shown that high or low beam makes little difference during the day, it is the triangular three light pattern that people see.

Also for those that have slight night blindness (35% of men over 40 are thought to have some night blindness), which can also in some people cause sensitivity to light and dark contrast, high beams during the day can be very annoying and even cause headaches. If someone rides behind me (whether I'm on the bike or in my cage) with their high beams on for more than about 5 minutes, just the reflection in the mirror starts to bother me. High beams coming toward me from the other direction, even during the day, at times can force me to look away.

So I would like to apologize now if I happen wander out of my lane and run you over while looking away from you high beams.