IGNORED

De-Linking Gen 1 Brakes

GaryZ

This is how I de-linked my Gen 1 brakes (probably applies to MKI & MKII):

I found a front brake coupler that almost fit the mount holes on the lower triple tree (Kawasaki GPZ1100). These holes were used to mount a plastic holder - pic 3. The mount holes needed to be slightly enlarged and longer screws added.

A local shop made two braided brake lines for about $42 each. I also bought a handful of aluminum crush washers from him.

I reused the original rubber hose for the left front caliper to route the front brake master to the coupler. This hose will be replaced with another braided line soon. It is too long and seems to be making the brakes a little spongy.

At first I couldn't get any brakes when the lines were connected and fluid was added. I pumped fluid through the system from the top with the master and pulled fluid from the bottom with a neighbor's brake vacuum tool. A note from this forum suggested strapping the front brake handle overnight and that worked. I now had a little bit of brake action. I bled the system again and strapped it for about 36 hours. The front brakes were working, but, the brake handle would touch the throttle grip without an impressive amount of braking.

This is when I found the plunger adjuster. Inside the front brake handle is a screw with locking nut. It adjusts the stroke of the master. I set it almost all the way in. I can now pull emergency stopping with two fingers on the brake handle and not pinch the other two fingers on the throttle.

I am very pleased with the way the brakes now work on my VR.

Edited by GaryZ

You sould use all four fingers for front braking, every time. This is for your own safety.

That's very nice of you to be so concerned.

Maybe you should not ride motorcycles, after all, they are not very safe.