IGNORED

Shopping for a starter...

Guest jeffsback

Guest jeffsback

Anyone got any sugestions where I could find a deal on a used starter for an 88 1300?

The bikes got nearly 156,000 miles so I don't want to spend $400+ on a new one, or $200+ for a rebuilt. I hope to find a good used one from a salvage yard for about $100+ anyone got any sugestions for a good yard that might have one. or perhaps a self rebuild solution?

Needed ASAP

JEFF

Guest MikeH386

Jeff,

I have a used starter that came out of my '89 that you can have for $25.00 plus shipping. This starter was replaced because it has a "bad spot" (a couple of wacks with a long screwdriver gets it working). Replacing the brushes might help, but taking a starter in and out of these bikes gets old really fast - especially when it is riding weather. Send my a PM or e-mail if you are interested.

Mike

:080402gudl_prv: I have a starter out of an 89 VR that I would sell,it worked fine but I replaced it and my starter cables to fix my hot start problem.However I think the cables would have cured the problem completely.bike only had 50000 miles on it when I replaced the starter,so should still be in fine shape.$50.00 plus shipping?Does that sound like the going rate these days?give me a email if you are interested.Thanks

RandyCH

Anyone got any sugestions where I could find a deal on a used starter for an 88 1300?

The bikes got nearly 156,000 miles so I don't want to spend $400+ on a new one, or $200+ for a rebuilt. I hope to find a good used one from a salvage yard for about $100+ anyone got any sugestions for a good yard that might have one. or perhaps a self rebuild solution?

Needed ASAP

JEFF

If I was going to replace my starter I would use a starter from a 95 up V-Max as it looks and fits the same but is a stronger starter. It utilizes 4 commuter brushes instead of 2. I can't remember their name but there is a big motorcycle parts place in Atlanta who was discounting these starters, and all parts for that matter to the Venturers.Org club. They were selling the better starters to members for 155.00.

Dick