IGNORED

Question on 1st Gen cowling/vents

saltcreep

The previous owner removed the cowling/vents that are in front of the driver's legs.. he said they are something to heat up the user's legs.

They were included with the purchase, just not attached, the bike is also missing the front lower air dam.

I have never driven another 1st gen other than this one I got off ebay less than 1 month ago.. No owner's manual either.

What is the purpose of these vents.. I'm wondering if these are used to cool off your legs? I could get an air dam off ebay,... they're a bit pricey , but there are a few on there.... just not sure if I'm missing something I don't have or better off without it.

I live in South Bama temps are peaking at 90+ now, the heat off this beast is a bit much on the legs right now, but maybe I'm just a light-weight.

The previous owner removed the cowling/vents that are in front of the driver's legs.. he said they are something to heat up the user's legs.

The leg heaters are to the inside of the legs... The ones in front will blow air at them, creating a bit of a breeze, but no air conditioning, so it is air at local temps......

:canada:

The leg cowlings air flow is from the black intakes on the front fairing sides..

The airflow is forced through ducts inside the front fairing then directed down the leg fairings and out the vents.

I have removed these fairings on my bike and I do notice an increase in the temps on my legs. This probably would be a bit uncomfortable in a higher temp climate than where I am in Ohio. I still have the airflow coming through the front intakes and out the bottom rear of the fairing, it just isn't directed over my legs as it once was.

The attached picture will give you an idea of what the bike looks like with the lower leg fairings removed & side covers modified.

I know members RandyA & Thom have had this mod for a while. It does give the bike a more distinctive look.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT5697s.jpg

Those vents in front of your shins get air from vents on either side of the upper fairing. I guess if somethings better than nothing, they're OK. Otherwise that lower leg is just cosmetic. Some folks will remove them, and I think you'd get better cooling without them. On the air dam I think it blocks air flow to the lower part of the engine, and actually they were an accessory in the early 83-85 years. They didn't become standard until 86-93. So it's up to you as to whether you want to use one or not....

I have an '84 that drove me nuts with the heat off the engine during those hot spells in the summer. I finally found the way to control that. I installed (or reinstalled) the plastic heat deflectors that snap onto the heads. They were not on the bike when I bought it. That seems to help with the seat warming up. I closed off the holes in the side panels with the chrome inserts. That did the trick on the legs getting hot. I open the vents up in the lower leg panels when it gets warmer and that puts a pretty good stream of fresh air out onto my legs. I have a lower chin off an '86 on the bike also and it does not seem to affect the engine temps at all. The engine runs about the same temp rather it's 30 degrees or 85 out.

When falls come around I'll remove the chrome side panels and close the leg vents to get the heat back on the legs.

With your year of bike you might be able to find the side cover vents with the movable louvers in them. Nice touch. If you can find a set with the vents that are intact.

Branched Oaks 051810 04 copy.jpg