IGNORED

Rubber head cover gaskets starting to leak

Guest primerib

Guest primerib

My '83 is getting a little damp around the top of a couple cylinders at the rubber gasket. Anyone replace these before? Any gotchas to expect? Anything else I can check out while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance.

D

I had mine done at the dealership. I also had them check the clearances whilst there (valves). That is the main reason I had them do the seals.

The owner said he never heard the tech use so many colorful words during the time he was doing those gaskets!

Type in gaskets in a search here and you will find more info on this topic. Or just scoll down to the bottom of this page and you will see other posts on this matter.

Guest ssparks905

Hey Primerib,

Here is what happened to me when I changed out my valve cover gaskets:

Tried to take the rear off without taking anything except the side panels off. I had no room to get the cover out of the restricted space. Also, it was very hard to hold on to the bolts, and I dropped one...:doh: Of course it fell onto the exhaust collector under the engine. Had to pull the mufflers and drop the collector to retrieve the bolt. Then ended up pulling the carbs to get the cover off. After that, the front cover was easy.

This is a good time to check the valve clearances. I didn't because I couldn't find my feeler gauges.

Putting the covers back on is tricky:2cents:. The new gasket is very floppy. I couldn't get enough oil off the cover to get the formagasket to stick it the rubber seal into the cover and ended up putting the seal on, the setting teh cover on and wiggling and tweaking until it was in place. I've since learned about part and brake cleaner spray:thumbsup2:. Man that will clean the oil off!

Be careful not to drop a bolt when putting the rear cover back on!:doh::whistling:... or wait to put the exhaust system back together until after finishing with the valve covers.

I did pick up a good tip from another posting here about removing the carbs without disconnecting the cables. I used that last time I pulled them.

All in all, the cover rubber seals aren't hard to replace, but be careful with the bolts.

Ride safe!

Sparky

It is a pain but with patience it works. Make sure the gasket is sitting properly or you will have the same problem quickly.

Hard to see but you can feel the gasket is sitting properly.

I use some gasket sealer to hold the gasket to the cover while putting it back on but the slightest bump and it can fall off.

Brad

Guest KitCarson

Hey fellows, want that gasket to stay in place while you carefully position the cover? Clean it off real good..then very sparingly in just a few spots, similar to a tack weld....use a little contact cement.....take a ten minute break, you will need it anyway lol!! That will hold the gasket so you can work on it. Kit

One cover comes off from the left and one comes off from the right. Muffinman told me you can leave the rubber air dam off too, when your done. Once you get the covers off put Yamabond #4 on the cover and set the gasket on it. Go have a beer or two and give it an hour or so to set. It takes a little finagling to get them in and out, and it helps to have an extra set of hands, but it's not too tough.

I tried to cheap out and re-use the rubber grommets that the bolts go through and just laid a bead of rtv ultra black on the undersides....didn't worrk more than a few thousand miles before it stated leaking around the bolts. I just went back and replaced mine. Flatout MC shows them for $1.51 (under Cylinder Head) so order them early. The dealer is 2.49 and you need 16.

Its kind of a pain. Plastic has to be off and carbs out, plastic dams out also. Like 86 said they come off on different sides. I Check your valve clearances now they are right there once the covers come off. They are very floppy and like to pop off when mounting. I didnt use any gasket sealers might be easier to hold them though. I set gaskets on the heads and then put the cover on and ran my fingers and visual check of the gasket to make sure it was seated properly. I'm not sure how you would easy it would be to do with the gasket stuck to the cover since its a tight fit to get them in. I would think it would fall off alot. They dont leak. I put the plastic air dams back not sure of their function if its airflow or it somehow protects the TCI from wetness. Just take your time and make sure they are on right. Two people would be better to assure proper gasket alignment.

1) All I pulled were the side covers, fairing lowers and air dams. Carbs don't have to be pulled, but might make it easier. Front is worse.

2) I agree with Jimbob, no sealer necessary. I thought about gluing them into the covers, but instead I enlisted my 11-year-old daughter to help me. Having a person on both sides is VERY helpful for both removal and install, for cover finagling and ensuring the gasket is in place. Because the gasket has a nice ridge on top that fits into a groove on the cover, you know when it's in and when it's not with a little looking and feeling and observing whether the cover sits flat. No leakage.

3) Definitely adjust your valves while in there. It's not too hard, but you need the special tool to get shims in and out.

Jeremy

• 1 year later...