IGNORED

Another Intercom question - need opinions

Yeah, Just Dale

I know that the intercom is always hot, which means lots of road noise. Have just gotten some headsets and am really surprised how loud the wind/road noise is. Did some searches and see several possible remedies:

A solution often proposed is the "mic mute" or similar product that mutes the mic until rider or passenger activates the microphones. Well and good, and seems to be well reviewed. But it seems to me that when the mic is on the issue of road and wind noise is still there.

Another option would be helmet headsets that have noise canceling microphones. How well do these work and in fact, do they work to keep the background noise down? Or is that only when someone is actually talking?

Finally, what about voice activated headsets? How well do they work? If the sensitivity is set to prevent the road noise do the people speaking have to shout in order to trigger the VOX?

Lots of questions I know, but wonder what people think or have actually tried. Thanks in advance.

We have the J&M headsets with the foam sock over each microphone. We usually ride with the IC volume on 8 or 9 and the road noise isn't bad and we can hear each other OK. What settings are you using?

Dennis

I bought IMC headsets, used them in my other helmet that I use on my Valkyrie and they're fine. What I bought was the kind with the mic that isn't on a boom but instead is attached directly to the helmet. I'm thinking that was a mistake. Full face helmet BTW. The mic has a cover over it but it still seems like a lot of noise. Are the J and M noise canceling?

Also, it just occurred to me, does the passenger hear what the driver is saying when the driver is using the CB? And vice versa? Thanks

I bought IMC headsets, used them in my other helmet that I use on my Valkyrie and they're fine. What I bought was the kind with the mic that isn't on a boom but instead is attached directly to the helmet. I'm thinking that was a mistake. Full face helmet BTW. The mic has a cover over it but it still seems like a lot of noise. Are the J and M noise canceling?

Also, it just occurred to me, does the passenger hear what the driver is saying when the driver is using the CB? And vice versa? Thanks

yes to the cb question

What I bought was the kind with the mic that isn't on a boom but instead is attached directly to the helmet. I'm thinking that was a mistake. Full face helmet BTW.

We use J&M headsets with in our full face helmets, the type where you mount the mic in the chin bar. On my helmet it's pretty quiet but my wife's sounds like it's in a wind tunnel. We just purchased the chin curtain for a HJC IS-16 helmet and installed it in hers, haven't tried it out yet.

The mic has a cover over it but it still seems like a lot of noise. Are the J and M noise canceling?
Ours aren't.

If the intercom is on.

I have the J&M head sets with full face helmets and the noise is bad with ICU set at 13. If it is lower then that we can't hear each other very well. I installed the Mic-Mutes and it stops the noise. You have to hit the CB button for just a second to talk and when your done, hit it again to turn it off. You will still have the noise when it is on but not when it is off.

It works great for me.

Just a couple weeks ago I purchased 2 push-to-talk buttons (actually for a NADY radio) from Dennis Kirk for $12.99 each. I wired them into my system so that the mic is always off until the button is pushed, making contact and activating the mic. No road/wind noise at all now, at least until one of us wants to say something. This has made a HUGE improvement in our enjoyment of the ride. No wind noise, no road noise, no microphone amplification of engine noises...what a tremendous improvement.

I fastened the wifes button to the underside of the left passenger grab bar. I fastened mine to the underside of my left handgrip where my thumb can easily activate it, even while my index finger is pressing the cb ptt switch. Works great, and is a very inexpensive solution.

Chin curtins (sounds like an old fashioned way to say "beard" LOL), mic cut outs, etc. And if the CB works sort of the same way as the mic mute liek a PTT, as long as you're not discussing your credit card numbers it may be just as easy to use the CB as an intercom. Understanding of course that every trucker within ear shot is going to be listening in so may want to stay away from those sensitive subjects.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Chin curtins (sounds like an old fashioned way to say "beard" LOL), mic cut outs, etc. And if the CB works sort of the same way as the mic mute liek a PTT, as long as you're not discussing your credit card numbers it may be just as easy to use the CB as an intercom. Understanding of course that every trucker within ear shot is going to be listening in so may want to stay away from those sensitive subjects.

Thanks for everyone's input.

You don't hold the CB button in. Just hit it quick. No one else hears you except who ever is riding with you.

QUOTE:You have to hit the CB button for just a second to talk and when your done, hit it again to turn it off. You will still have the noise when it is on but not when it is off.