IGNORED

hf grease seals

casabroker

Anyone have a lead on the hf grease seal for their trailers? HF stocks bearing but not seals. Took my off to repack the bearings. Several auto parts stores and a trailer shop didn't have one that works. Got the closest fit and it's spitting grease.

Thanks

OK, I ran into this problem before on my HF trailer with 12" wheels.

Both bearings and seals are metric, while most of the domestic trailers use more common standard axle layouts, which can be easily serviced.

The provided bearings and seals are rather poor in quality, even by Chinese standards, therefore I decided to change bearings and seals before using the trailer on an extended trip.

Sourcing the bearings was trivial, part# 30205 is not too uncommon for a 25mm shaft, most local automotive suppliers will have them in stock.

The seals are a little bit more tricky. Dimensions are 30x52x10mm and after a little bit of looking around I found SKF# 692373 or 11694, which is a special order for most automotive suppliers, but easily found at bearing supply houses.

I installed these parts with a high quality wheel bearing grease and haven't had any problems. I would not recommend using the grease fitting on the rear flange, as it does not distribute grease correctly and makes more of a mess then anything else.

Also, the parts are available through harbor freight, in the same high, Chinese quality as the original stuff.

Hope this helps,

Klaus

I gave one number for the seals, SKF 692373, which is the current number for the old SKF 11694. Yes, this seal is a complete rubber seal, compared to the metal rim seal with rubber insert. The dimensions for fit and sealing are identical to the original seal that comes with the harborfreight trailer, the SKF seal is much higher quality and seals much better.

What is the part number of the seal you installed? You said it's leaking, so I assume you simply used the wrong size, assumingly a spindle seal for a standard axle. The outer diameter of the seal you used might be close enough to fit in the hub bore, but the spindle sealing area diameter for the metric axle is much smaller then the 1" standard axle. You also might have simply overfilled the bearings with grease, which will drastically expand with heat.