IGNORED

Ride for Dad

Sailor

Just got back from the Ride for Dad in Victoria. Saw a few Ventures there. Had about 1000 bikes. Impressive parade. The cops had all the streets blocked off so we could keep together. They estimate $100,000.00 raised for prostate cancer research. Going on the Ride for Life next month.

I think I was a little insulted on the way there and on the way back. I went over the Malahat from Crofton. It climbs from sea level to 1200 feet fairly quickly. I got challenged by a guy in a Prius! Realy! Not a chance fella. Then on the way back I got challenged by a guy on a harley. I think he was discouraged when I pulled up beside him when he was at full speed and shifted gears.

Just got back from the Ride for Dad in Victoria. Saw a few Ventures there. Had about 1000 bikes. Impressive parade. The cops had all the streets blocked off so we could keep together. They estimate $100,000.00 raised for prostate cancer research. Going on the Ride for Life next month.

I think I was a little insulted on the way there and on the way back. I went over the Malahat from Crofton. It climbs from sea level to 1200 feet fairly quickly. I got challenged by a guy in a Prius! Realy! Not a chance fella. Then on the way back I got challenged by a guy on a harley. I think he was discouraged when I pulled up beside him when he was at full speed and shifted gears.

Who was it that said: You got to know your limits.

A Prius, really, what was he thinking? :rotf:

Sounds like you had a good turn out for a very worthy cause, our Ride for Dad is the 30th of this month and we are expecting around 1000 bikes. It is something that I can empathize with seeing as I have had my prostate removed 6 mths ago after being diagnosed with cancer.

I would strongly advise all men 50 and over to go and have the PSA blood test done, even earlier if it runs in the family, it can be treated if caught earliy enough. Don't put it off guys.

Ian

PS. Bikers may get a bad name sometimes but I am very proud that the vast majority of us ride for many many different causes, be it PGR, BACCA, Memorial day and so on. God bless you all.

I was just looking at the Ride for Dad site and I see they are having a cross Canada tour Starting Aug 1st. There are several stages and you can ride all of it ( St Johns NFLND to Victoria B.C.) or just part of it. For more info Google Ride for Dad and click on tenth anniversary ride.

I was in the Ride For dad on Saturday too. After the Parade of Chrome most of us went on a poker run from Langford over the Malahat, through the backroads from Bamberton to Cowichan Bay, and Crofton almost to Chemainus then back to Cobble Hill for lunch. After lunch we went through Cobble Hill to Shawnigan Lake then back to Victoria. Great weather, lots of twisty roads and not too much traffic makes for a fun ride.

Here are some pix of the bikes as they were lined up for the parade. There were only two Ventures that I saw. One really mint 89 Royale and a 2nd gen that unfortunately was hidden behind the two guys talking.

I saw several first and second gens there. I was talking to the guy with the burgundy 2nd gen. He sometimes comes on this site. I met up with my son who lives in Langford and since I had just come over the hat and was returning the same way we went for lunch at the Waterwheel instead.