IGNORED

FINALLY my sqeaky brakes are gone

wrongway2

I don't post often because I'm so technically challenged but I figured it was a good time to post this as riding season is upon us (finally).

Every since buying my 06 RSTD used I've been plagued by the brakes. The sqealing and the quish quish noise described in previous posts drove me crazy. It sounded like a bike that was ready for the scrap yard.

Anyway, I had new pads put on this spring and same issue was back withing 40 miles.

Having read this in a post from last year, last night I went out and soaked a rag in brake cleaner and spun each wheel while holding the rag on the rotor. On the front I put a soaked rag between the pad and rotor and had my wife apply light brake pressure while I spun the wheel.

I then took the bike for a 50 mile ride and to my surprise it felt like a new bike. Hopefully it will last for a while and then I'll do it again.

I was shocked at how black the rags got from the crud on the rotors.

ride safe

Greg:cool10:

Good start but, it probably wont last long. What I have done on the last 3 sets (and this is easy ever for the non-mechanically inclined).

Remove the calipers (2 12mm bolts)

Remove the pads (to clips and pins

Clean the backs of the pads

get some disk brake quieter (any auto parts store has it or a similar product) it's just a orange goo that goes and the back of the pads and turns rubbery

Put a thin layer on the back of the pads and let it dry about 10-20 minutes

re-install in reverse order

the quietner basically puts a tacky/rubber like surfaces and the back and stops the chatter/squeal. This is the only real fix for noisy brakes. It takes about 15-20 minutes of labor for both fronts (I do the rear too when I put new pads on) and it pretty much lasts the life of the pads.

you might have to spread the pistons in the caliper a little to get them back on (I normally do this with an old pair of pads but if all you have is the one set turn them backwards in the caliper and CAREFULLY - pry them open a little bit. just be careful not to bind up the pistons or damage the lining face. They should slide back in pretty easy. If not, most parts stores will have a tool to spread the pistons and will rent/loan it. just be careful not to bind the pistons. if you have an old pair of pads, you don't have to worry about damaging the lining and I normally just use a big flat screwdriver or small prybar - it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure. again - just be careful not to bind the pistons (in case I didn't mention it)

Once I got her to understand that I only needed slight pressure on the brake lever it was nice to have her help.

Here's hoping that it lasts but even if it has to be done once a month it's well worth it having brakes sound like they're supposed to.:thumbsup:

It's a good feeling when something goes right:cool10: and it was even better you got the wife involved with the project.:)

I hope it lasts for you.

Mountainhorsega has it right. Squeaking is caused by vibration. By tightening up the pads with the anti-squeal, you can eliminate this problem.

"scrubbing" noise is caused from the brake pads being glazed over from too much heat...from riding the brakes. This can be fixed by roughing up the brake pad surfaces and rotors with Scotch Brite....and then not riding the brakes.

I mostly use my engine to do the braking, and my pads last much longer.

Happy braking!!