IGNORED

Near miss

bluerstd08

I was riding home from work last night on a dark road and did really think too much about anything because it was warm and I was only a mile or so from the house. When out of the blue 2 deer jump out and both wheels locked up. I didnt panic, kept the bike straight up and missed the deer by only a few feet. I got to the stop sign put the kick stand down and had to take a breather. Its spring and the wildlife is out there, so please be safe out there. We cant let ourselves get compacent.

Speaking of complacent, Lets not forget to stay alert when we are in our cages too. Just the other day i personally pulled out in front of a guy doubleing his wife(at least I asume wife) I didnt see them and went to the center lane as is my custom in this particular sectiion and he wizzed wright by me. Didn't scare him but it disturbed me quite a bit as I should have known better. We all get mad when a cager says I didnt see them, but i litterally didnt see them. Not making excuses as it was my resposability and I was lackng.

David

I was riding home from work last night on a dark road and did really think too much about anything because it was warm and I was only a mile or so from the house. When out of the blue 2 deer jump out and both wheels locked up. I didnt panic, kept the bike straight up and missed the deer by only a few feet. I got to the stop sign put the kick stand down and had to take a breather. Its spring and the wildlife is out there, so please be safe out there. We cant let ourselves get compacent.

Keeping a extra pair of shorts in the saddle bags helps in times like these!!!:whistling:

You were very lucky the deer didn't try to cross road in front of you. They are very unpredictable.

Thats what happened to me, I locked both brakes for 12 feet then released so I could maneuver, but the scared deer T-boned me.

The one thing I learned from this is you can never have too much protection. Most motorcycle jackets do not have built in chest protectors. They assume you will fall off to one side or the other, or, onto your back. I ordered a pair of alpinestar chest protectors for both my wife and i and will velcro them into our Motorcycle jackets. For $39.00 we will feel safer. Today I Spoke to my motorcycle mechanic that just happens to teach motorcycle saftey classes and he reminded me of something I heard a long time ago. If you ride a motorcycle long enough, sooner or later you WILL be involved in an accident. You can however, tilt the odds in your favor by wearing the protective clothing and full face helmets. Oh and buyin brown shorts couldn't hurt:Laugh:

Glad your ok!

Yup, It is that time of year.

This is one of the two highest danger periods of the year for hitting deer.

At this time of year the does are dropping their new fawns, so they are driving last years crop out of their territory. They do this to keep the gene pool spread out. This means that there are a lot of young deer running around looking for a new place to live. If that young deer happened to grow up in an area with few or no roads they have no clue as to how to cross the street because mom never had to teach that to them.

Keep your eyes peeled for them critters.