IGNORED

Trunk Wing/Brake Light function

thecount

Looking for advice.

Installed a yamaha wing on the trunk lid with brake light in it. As such, the wiring is not the best. I have connected wiring per the directions. Did the check and lights are on as running light, but will not come on "bright" when brake applied. Any comments?

On a side note, the means to connect the wires to the bike, seem a rather cheap and not reliable means, but can work.

Any feedback or comments appreciated.:Venture:

Could you posibly have reversed the conection? If so the "bright" would be on the running light circuit and you my not be able to notice the others coming on when you apply the brake. I have yet to recieve mine. Did get a ship date of 27 May though. Ordered the first week in Feb. When I get mine I will better know what you are up against.

I will agree with HERB you probably have the wires backwards, or not making connection(Don't you love the way Yamaha say to wire just bend the wires over in the connector and put back together)I could not do that I soldered them. They use the same leds(bulb) for park and stop it is just run through a resistor in the harness.So 99% chance the unit is ok.:thumbsup2:

I agree with the previous posters. You might also check the connections. The way Yamaha has you connect the wires into the plug is really chinsey. I made two changes to their wiring. First I removed the three pins from the exhisting light connector on the bike and soldered an extra short wire to each. I connected my spoiler lights to those short wires. For me that was much better than just having the wire ends stuck into the plug as suggested by Yamaha. Next I added a connector in the wires behind the back seat. That way when I need to remove the trunk I can just unplug the connector. Finally running the wires through the rubber harness loom they provided is a real pain. So I purchased a plastic note binder from the local office supply, removed the plastic strip that is used to hold the papers in it and glued that to the inside lid on the trunk. Made a perfect loom to run wires through and they are available in a variety of colors. The plastic strip did not want to conform to the shape of the trunk lid at first so I just heated it up (out of the trunk) with a hair drier and gave it a little arch. After that it worked fine. Now I am thinking of adding an interior trunk light. If I do I can run the wires for that through my already in place homemade loom.

Mike

Thanks Boys,

Yup, seems like the instruction to wire colours was wrong and connected to the incorrect color codes.

As for cut and solder, something to be done in the very, very near future.

And the advise for the wiring behind the plate on the backrest and trunk back, THANKS!

Would not have done that until I need to remover the "MOBILE BEER COOLER" , oh, the trunk.

Thanks for the advise.

Put on a sweet looking trunk rack with this as well from American Motorcycle Accessories. Billet style gear, that is awesome looking over the chrome tubing rack.

Keep the rubber on the road!:Venture:

:thumbsup2: