IGNORED

Ignition key mechanism?

Hi,

Any known endemic issues with the ignition key mechanism on these old gals?

I went to ride my red '84 to work this morning but I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition!

I have a Yamaha original key as well as a couple of copies of same, NONE would turn in the ignition this morning. All worked fine as usual in all the other locks on the bike and no precursory events have suggested any issues with the ignition mechanism up to now. The bike has sat for a couple of weeks due to weather and my busy life but was thought to be ready to go till this happened.

Perhaps the spirits were telling me that today isn't a day to ride and I am grateful that it happened in my own garage and not out in the wilds somewhere but it is a puzzle. I had to come to work on 4 wheels. :Sad_0241:

What info do we have on this sort of behaviour ?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Hi,

Any known endemic issues with the ignition key mechanism on these old gals?

I went to ride my red '84 to work this morning but I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition!

What info do we have on this sort of behaviour ?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Mine has done this a few times over the years, I have only gave it a heavy shot of PJ1 cable lube in through the key hole & let it soak in a while.:2cents:

Hey Brian,

Because of the position of the lock assembly, it is prown to collecting moisture. The fact that the lock is over 20 years old doesn't help matters either. Usually once a month, I give the ignition switch, the kill switch, the starter button and the turn signal switch a shot of WD40 and this has solved the problem for me. It only takes a little shot, and a few minutes of my time to keep all of those switches working. I tried the graphite lock lube in the ignition switch and found that because this switch collects water like a bowl, the graphite "clumped up" and really didn't do as good of a job as the WD40.

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Brian,

Because of the position of the lock assembly, it is prown to collecting moisture. ...................

It has been high and dry in my garage for 2 weeks and only used in fair weather prior to.

I'll try some of these suggestions this evening. thanks all!

Brian H.