IGNORED

Horn wiring help Please

Moved this thread from the Watering Hole...

Profiessional Input Please: I have read most of the threads regarding wiring of a Stebel Horn. I ordered one today so it will be on for a trip I am taking the end of May to Dragon/Cherohala area. I have decided to go with the "in cowling" mounting option. After reading Freebirds Tech article and others here on the forum I would like "confirmation" that I will be wiring it up correctly.

1. Mount horn vertically in cowling to frame. (Using pipe insulation to cushion per a suggestion on a thread and tie wraps)

2. Splice into hot wire from acc. plug and run wire to relay. ( Per Freebirds Tech article) (Increase size of fuse in lower fuse panel)

3. Wire from relay to horn positive. (Tech article)

4. Ground wire from horn to frame. ??????

5. Splice into pink wire horn button and run wire to relay. (Threads tech article)

What am I missing...anything. :bowdown: :confused24: :think:

NOTE: I restored a 110 year old house here in Lynchburg. I did all restoration work "EXCEPT" electrical....Just not my thing.....

Since I am under the cowling and want to keep the OEM horns active, do I need to deal with the "brown" wire everyone refers to in the mounting option on the lower right side of the bike?....

Long Tall in Lynchburg, VA

I dunno. I just got a Carbon One wiring harness and mount today and am going to use it to replace the stock horn on my RSV. The C1 stuff is well made and it looks like a pretty simple install.

My question would be "why keep the stock horn"? Separate horn button or ?? If not, you certainly wouldn't seem to need both stock and the Steibel.....

I was going to mount a Stebel horn working off of the standard horn button, through a relay.

I was also going to keep the stock horns, both mounted on one side, Stebel on other.

The stock set up I was going to use my 'PTT' switch to activate.

I don't have the intercom set up anyways.

The stock horns will be my polite set, the Stebel will be my get the f&$k out of my way set.

Gary

I contacted Carbon1 about the wiring harness and the mount...I decided to keep the horn in the cowling...Just like the look of the existing horn area. Also....At the last meet & Eat....a couple of folks there had them mounted on the inside of the cowling....Just want that stock look to remain the same, but add the Louder horn...

Thanks for the input...

Long Tall in Virginia

Cliff note version;

Mount the relay that comes with the Stebel horn on a bolt under the coolant recovery bottle

Hook the two wires from the original horn to terminals 85 and 86 on the relay

Run a fused 14ga wire from the (+) battery post to the #30 terminal on the relay

Run a 14ga wire from the #87 terminal of the relay to the (+) terminal on the Stebel horn

From the (-) terminal on the Stebel horn to a suitable ground.

Thanks for the reply Wes....After looking at Sleeperhawks Chrome Wolo mounted on the right side of the bike where he horn is I decided to go that route and I ordered the Wolo form Amazon....I am a Chrome-a-holic....I also ordered Carbon One's bracket and harness....

I was looking for help for a "in the front cowling" install....Never really got that....But yours was very help had I not already ordered the harness from Carbon One...

Thanks and stay safe...

George (Long Tall) in Virginia

Thanks for the reply Wes....After looking at Sleeperhawks Chrome Wolo mounted on the right side of the bike where he horn is I decided to go that route and I ordered the Wolo form Amazon....I am a Chrome-a-holic....I also ordered Carbon One's bracket and harness....

I was looking for help for a "in the front cowling" install....Never really got that....But yours was very help had I not already ordered the harness from Carbon One...

Thanks and stay safe...

George (Long Tall) in Virginia

For what it's worth, on my bike, I also ran a second 14ga wire from the #87 relay terminal to one terminal (disconnect and tie back the factory wiring) on the 2nd factory horn behind the left lower fairing. Ground the other horn terminal. At least in my case THAT made the "hidden" factory horn louder.

For what it's worth, on my bike, I also ran a second 14ga wire from the #87 relay terminal to one terminal (disconnect and tie back the factory wiring) on the 2nd factory horn behind the left lower fairing. Ground the other horn terminal. At least in my case THAT made the "hidden" factory horn louder.

Yep going with 14 ga wire will make a big difference. I use 14 ga for the lead wire from the battery and to the horn from the relay. The others are 16 ga as there's no real load on the wiring from the horn button & ignition feed going to the #86 terminal of the relay.

Larry

Thanks for all in input folks....Decided to go with Carbon One bracket and harness and the Wolo Chrome Horn...Got that from Amazon...

Kept looking at Sleeperhawks set up and his positive reply to a question I sent him....

I'm sure I'll like the Chrome Horn mounted on the outside replacing the OEM horn....

George "Long Tall" in Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put a "THANKS TO ALL" post here. I got a lot of help from those that offered input..

Sleeperhawk "chickenhawk" (George) and others helped me make my decision..

I now have the chrome Wolo horn mounted with Larry's bracket and wiring harness....Larry's bracket and harness is (First Class)

My ONLY change/addition to the install is I went to my local Ace Hardware and replaced the Bolt, Nut and Lock washer that came with the horn with Stainless....At Sleeperhawks suggestion I bought Stainless washers to use as spacers between Larry's bracket and the horn...Played with the number and ended with using all five...bolt was 5/16th by the way..

Took 30 minutes form start to finish.......Then went for a ride with the wife on the BR Pkwy which is 30 min from my home....We have (1) tunnel here on this section...BOY..was going through that with the Wolo Fun or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all....This is why this is a GREAT forum :sign outstanding::clap2::thumbsup2:...

Who in the "heck" would not want to pay the $12..:think: :confused24:

Long Tall in Lynchburg, VA

PS...If OutKast should read this...I HAD TO go with the "Chrome" WOLO....

It's a Chrome-a-holic thing...