IGNORED

INSURANCE for GPS, XM radio and GoPro Camera not included

cb1313

I have Progressive at a good price,,,,BUT ...I found out today the my Garmin Zumo GPS, XM radio and GoPro camera are not coved.... at all ? Progressive will not cover these items.

Dose your insurance cove these items ?

Cb

I have Progressive at a good price,,,,BUT ...I found out today the my Garmin Zumo GPS, XM radio and GoPro camera are not coved.... at all ? Progressive will not cover these items.

Dose your insurance cove these items ?

Cb

Some provisions under a homeowner's insurance policy covers this kind of stuff since it isn't covered under the typical automotive/bike insurance.

You might want to double check the verbage in the 'accessory coverage' area. Seems to me that these ought to be considered accessories for the bike and covered appropriately.

:confused24: Just a thought.

Okay. I realize that our progressive policies may differ since we are in different states and all but here is how the relevant portion of mine reads:

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN

EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS

PART IV.

Coverage under this Part IV will not apply for loss:

9. to portable equipment, devices, accessories, and any other personal effects that

are not permanently installed. This includes, but is not limited to:

a. tapes, compact discs, cassettes, DVDs, and other recording or recorded media;

b. any case or other container designed for use in storing or carrying tapes,

compact discs, cassettes, DVDs, or other recording or recorded media;

c. any device used for the detection or location of radar, laser, or other speed

measuring equipment or its transmissions; and

d. CB radios, telephones, two-way mobile radios, DVD players, personal computers,

personal digital assistants, or televisions;

So. The question is, how do they define 'permanently installed' and aren't some of your Zumos hard wired into the bike? ergo, the permanent installation? Or do they have some sort of 'docking station' like deal that you plop it into?

I would say that if it comes off with a quick release type deal, then it probably is not covered and one would have to rely on the homeowner's insurance to cover it. The homeowner's insurance covers all sorts of good stuff, I would encourage you to check out your policy and verify that you have coverage for such instances. Since theft from 'your personal property' is typically covered under those policies. If not, I am guessing that someone would be willing to sell insurance to cover such items either under an amended homeowner's type policy or one specifically written for such devices on the bike.

Just some thoughts.

This was back in June 2008, but at the time I had Progressive Insurance on the RSV. Got rear-ended at a stop light and my XM antenna for the Garmin Zumo 550 was damaged in the spill -- scrapes, purely cosmetic. When I got the bike back from the shop the XM antenna was replaced. The Zumo was not damaged and I took it home with me, so the shop never saw it. It was one of Progressive's "pre-approved" shops so I did nothing more than fax over my insurance and registration cards then picked up the bike a few weeks later all fixed.

I believe it should be covered because it is considered a ‘driving aid’.

My insurance covered my GPS when it was stolen out of my vehicle because it was a driving aid and it was mounted. I also had a pair driving glasses but they said they wouldn’t cover them because they weren’t mounted or part of the vehicle... however when I argued that the vehicle was equipped with a built in holder for glasses and that these glasses were left in the vehicle because they were driving glasses they agreed with me and paid for a replacement pair.

The progressive main office quoted from the policey the same that LilBeaver quoted. As they are NOT permanently installed they are not covered by my insurance for my bike. Plain and simple.... NOT COVERED.

I will check today with my agent about Homeowners coverage. My Zumo has a quick release bracket but the gps itself is not permanent, same with the xm and camera.

Cb it's hard to lock them in the trunk if you have a accident !!!!!