IGNORED

speedometer

bnice273

I have a question. I brought a 2000 venture mm and i was wondering if the speedometer is suppose to move like a speedometer in a car because mines sticks as I am accelerating and then when I let off the throttle it jumps to the speed I am going. The cruise control also wont stay engaged if the speed drops going up hill. I need to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they resolved it. Thanks for the help in advance.

How steep a hill? If you lose or gain 5 mph, the cruise will cut out.

I find that if I twist the throttle just a hair when at the bottom of the hill the cruise will usually start accelerating better/quicker and stay engaged. The hill doesn't have to be super steep either.

thank you for the info. on the cruise it will cutoff and i have to push the resume button. is the cruise set up like in a car where if it drops below the set speed it will accerlate to the set speed. Because if so when mines drop it does not accerlate back to the set speed. it is like the cruise cuts completly off and i have to push the resume button.

Mine works fine, most of the time. It keeps the bike at a steady speed and on hills will accelerate the bike to maintain the set speed. Sometimes it may go a bit over the set speed going up hill and sometimes if I cancel it by hitting the brakes, when I resume, it doesn't always return to exactly the set speed. But for the most part, it works fine.

thank you for the info. on the cruise it will cutoff and i have to push the resume button. is the cruise set up like in a car where if it drops below the set speed it will accerlate to the set speed. Because if so when mines drop it does not accerlate back to the set speed. it is like the cruise cuts completly off and i have to push the resume button.

It will cut out totally if it goes 5 mph below or above the set point. This WILL require you to hit the resume button or hit the set button again.

If it drops only 1 or 2 mph it should accelerate to get back up to your set point.

For me, the only time I use the cruise is on highway speed around 70-75, under that it just doesn't work very well. I did run the Blue Ridge Parkway in 4th gear and set the cruise at 50 mph and it worked good. 5th gear, for my Venture, requires enough speed to allow the CC to work right.

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis
.... as I am accelerating and then when I let off the throttle it jumps to the speed I am going....

Just so we're clear here...are you saying the needle stays on 0 till you get up to say, 70mph, THEN it registers your speed? Or are u simply noticing the 2.5 mph resolution 'steps' the needle shows when changing up or down?

If its the latter, thats normal. Due to the limitations of an LCD display of this type, the needle does not really 'move'. The display actually turns on segments that LOOK like a needle, one at a time, next to each other, up and down to indicate speed. Kind've like chase lights on a sign or Christmas tree. On your RSV the segments are arranged in 2.5 mph 'steps'. Nothing to worry about.

Also, unless its been 'fixed' by a Speedohealer, its probably reading HIGH by several mph.

There are several threads about that subject....heres mine:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25233&highlight=speedohealer

Looks like Brian's already asked my big question so I'll just comment on the cruise control: works just like my car or the wife's truck. No problems to speak of.

First off, I really only use it on the Interstates. Maybe on a large divided highway. Very rarely on a red road. Across South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma? Oh yeah! The twisties in the Rockies? Probably not. I set it just over prevailing cage speed (whatever that may be - 75-80 or so) then just go.

Won't work under forty(ish) or over eighty five (un-speedohealed). Big hill? It might drop enough to cut out. Flat land? Set it and forget it. It does turn the throttle so I can mess it up by holding on too tightly when it's working. Because of that I tend to just grip the weight and leave the rest of my hand loose over the throttle itself.