IGNORED

Speedometer problem

Hi Guys, I could with a bit of advice here.I have a 2000 Royal star venture. My Speedometer stopped working the other day, I have checked fuses and all are OK. I'm thinking the problem is the speed sensor, how do you check these things? Other issues I'm having is indicators wont self cancel, cruise control wont work, engine management light comes on if I hit the rev limiter, I think all these issues can be attributed to a faulty speed sensor. I thought there was a self diagnosis system that checks the speed sensor but that doesn't seem to work even when I disconnect the sensor. Any advice would be much appreciated

Hi Guys, I could with a bit of advice here.I have a 2000 Royal star venture. My Speedometer stopped working the other day, I have checked fuses and all are OK. I'm thinking the problem is the speed sensor, how do you check these things? Other issues I'm having is indicators wont self cancel, cruise control wont work, engine management light comes on if I hit the rev limiter, I think all these issues can be attributed to a faulty speed sensor. I thought there was a self diagnosis system that checks the speed sensor but that doesn't seem to work even when I disconnect the sensor. Any advice would be much appreciated

I think the speed sensor is in the final housing. I'd check all the connections before trying to find something more serious.... But.... heck I ride a 1stGen.... wadda I know.. :)

Follow this link and download the manuals if you don't have them. In the service manual PDF pull up page 460 (book page 8-76) it mentions the speed sensor and some of your troubles.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

Hope this helps!

Yes thanks Condor, I'm checking connections have found no faults so far. Thanks Mike have already downloaded the service manual.

What's confusing me at the moment is that when I disconnect the speed sensor I do not get an error signal from the self diagnosis system. I have tried disconnecting the throttle position sensor and I do get a error signal (3 flashes from the engine management light).

When I turn on the ignition the led speedo goes up and down and management light goes out as normal, so I'm thinking connections to speedo are OK.

When I check the output to the sensor I get 12v between white and black/blue which seems to be correct according to wiring diagram, I am currently trying to trace the blue/yellow wire which seems to go to the speedo unit.

I'm assuming that there is only one speed sensor, located near the final drive and that the connector for this is a white connector located behind the left hand side panel just below the fuse box.

As I said any help would be appreciated....got my first speeding ticket a month ago and don't want another one