IGNORED

Did My First Maintenance Day - Now A Question

Guest oldroadstar

Guest oldroadstar

I have an '08 RSV with 15k miles. Changed coolant, new iridium plugs and did carb synch. I noticed some oil on the outside top of the left rear portion of the air box. I removed the air box and found oil inside the box and all around the air intake hose clamp and a coating over much of the outside of left carbs (mostly the rear one. It looks like it has built up over time and was sorta dried and just grimey). I checked the breather tubes but there didn't seem to be much of a residue inside. Also, the air box cross tube connector foam sealer pieces were saturated. Does anyone have an idea where this is coming from? I had a Roadstar before the RSV and oil from the CC Breather would run out of the air box. Routing the breather to under the bike took care of that. If this is coming from the breather is there a way to re-route it somewhere else? Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks, Fred

Guest oldroadstar

While I had the bike on the jack it was just over halfway up in the sight glass. Maybe an 1/8" above half. I didn't pay that much attention at the time. If that is the case, where is it coming from?

For my 06 I have found that putting 3 quarts and exactly 8 ounces of oil in the crankcase there is NO problem with oil carryover to the airboxes.

Boomer.....who's too busy chasing down cheesecake and wimmen to bother with oil levels on anything.