IGNORED

Gas Mileage great BUT!

TDunc

I am a little confused now after my 400 plus mile trip to the NC mtns Monday and Tuesday. :confused07::confused07::confused07:

I checked gas mileage at every stop and it clocked it at 43-45 each time.

I have read on here that this mileage is OK.

The confusing part is, I feel it is running rough as all get out.

I have plans to find someone to assist with a carb sync.

Reasons:

1) A little sluggish since I installed baffles and repacked the Bag Slash pipes.

2) Lots of popping with deceleration.

Now I am not sure it is a sync problem. Popping is annoying.

Any comments.

it is possible that the carbs are just now going out of sync. if so, your milage will worsen and performance will suffer. that's what i experienced. there may be more, but i won't know. after my sync, performance went up with milage and popping quit.

your popping on decell is caused from a leak at the connections where the slip on pipes clamp to the head pipes. hold a towel over the tip of the exhaust as to try to plug the end, and you will find where the leak is at.

mike

A lean condition will improve mpg. However, too lean will burn pistons and valves.

I think popping during deceleration is generally an indication of a lean condition.

A vacuum leak will cause a lean condition. Somebody already suggested checking the port plugs. Another check is to spray WD-40 around the carb boots when the engine is running. If the rpm increases, you may have found your leak.

Check the low speed pilot screws. These can cause a lean condition at idle and light throttle (cruise). Most say these screw should be around 2.5 turns out.

your popping on decell is caused from a leak at the connections where the slip on pipes clamp to the head pipes. hold a towel over the tip of the exhaust as to try to plug the end, and you will find where the leak is at.

mike

Ditto, exhaust popping is normally associated with an exhaust leak that is drawing oxygen back into the pipe during deceleration causing burn and popping.

RandyA