IGNORED

Mississippi Rider Down

wes0778

A fine young man and co-worker bought WAY too much motorcycle as his 1st ever street bike. I think it was a 1000+cc crotch rocket. He had it 2-3 days before, it was reported, he lost it because of gravel on the road and he hit a light pole.

Obituary from the Jackson, MS newspaper

Adam Johnson, 22, passed away Friday, April 2, 2010 at University Medical Center in Jackson from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. Visitation will be 4-8pm today at Harmony Baptist Church. Services will be 11am Monday, April 5, 2010 at Harmony Baptist Church with burial in Harmony Cemetery.

Adam was born in Jackson and lived all of his life in Crystal Springs where he was a faithful member of Harmony Baptist Church where he was also saved at the age of 9. After graduating from Union Academy, he got a degree in heavy equipment dealer service technology from South Georgia Technical College. Adam was the first Puckett Equipment employee to graduate with this degree. He married his first love, Kayla Pino Johnson July 25, 2009.

Adam loved life and lived it to the fullest and always spoke words of encouragement to those around him. He enjoyed spending time with his family and extended family. He loved working in his shop, mud racing, fishing, four wheeler riding and most of all, spending time alone with his wife. He loved his work with Puckett Machinery as a heavy equipment dealer service technician with whom he had worked and attended school for the past 5 years.

Adam was preceded in death by his maternal grandfathers, Walter Barlow, Sr. and his paternal grandfather, J. W. Johnson.

He is survived by his wife, Kayla Pino Johnson; parents, Eddie and Sue Johnson of Crystal Springs; brother, Alex Johnson of Crystal Springs; maternal grandparents, Peggy and Paul Hunter of Crystal Springs; paternal grandparents, Doris and Seyburn Ball of Crystal Springs.

Guest seuadr

oh man. i hate reading these kinds of posts. :(

when we lost a brother, we are all the worse for that loss. I'm so sorry to hear about this. i can only hope that future riders read this and realize they need to be careful in chosing a bike :(

Yes, this kind of news saddens us all. Doesn't Miss have a law that requires taking a training course? Even then though, I suppose to a new rider with that much bike things can catch up with him VERY quickly.

Best to all, and the rest of us ride UP with maximum safety allert!

JackZ

Sorry to hear about this loss. Such a shame. I called on a Kawasaki dealer last year and we talked about how fast the sport bikes (crotch rockets) are, right off the showroom floor. This dealer raced motorcycles until a couple of years ago. He said the first thing he ask a potential customer when they are looking at a crotch rocket is, how much riding experience do you have. If they say none he tells them he won't sell them the bike. Kawasaki has a four cylinder ninja, I think it is 600 or 650 ccs, but the dealer said you could be going 120mph and twist the throttle and it will stand straight up. He said when they ask why he won't sell them the bike he says, "because I don't want to be going to your funeral in a couple of weeks." He loses sales but I respect him for being honest and sticking to what he believes.

This is awful... I grew up with Adam and his brother Alex who was riding behind him when he wrecked. It's sickening to me that first of all someone sold him this big of a bike. It also makes me wonder why people no longer have respect for motorcycles (including those just trying to make a profit off selling them). You don't master riding one in a week.. or a year... or even many years from what I've come to see. I have the 650R Ninja mentioned in a previous post and it is even too much for a beginner. There shouldn't be such a stigma that a 250 is a "girl/baby bike". My prayers go out to his family and new wife. It's just another sad day for riders everywhere.

... for strength and forward recovery for those who have endured this lost next to their very soul. And prayers for all of us to pass the wisdom posted here on for other, and perhaps we'll be able to save their lives.

I have a small group of 5-9 who I try to get together from time to time, and we all trust east other. However we have a young in his 20's on his CRocket, and we let him take the lead, and just give a prayer of thanksgiving when we catch up with him.

I hope all riders learn from posts like this. And I gree the sellers have a resonsibility too.

Saddened, and respectful even of my big 86 VR, as I pray all of us here are with all our scoots.

JackZ