IGNORED

How 'bout a GOOD dealer story

WilCruise

I know we all have had bad dealer experiences. I just wanted to give props to my dealer for working with me to get a problem solved. My most local Yamaha dealer (Quincy, MA) isn't particularly well versed in the Venture and sometimes doesn't seem to like working on it, however, they do step up to the plate for me when it's necessary.

I recently had a very spongy rear end (hey no comments!) and found oil leaking from the rear suspension. Having hung out here for quite a while I knew exactly what had happened and that it SHOULD be covered by warranty. I called the dealer, explained the situation and that it would be warranty work. Also asked if they had the part. They didn't and they said they'd have to look at it before they could even order it. The tone implied that they weren't thrilled about the prospect of doing work either. So I'm thinking to myself "OK here we go, it's going to be a pain in the ass and I'll have to fight my way through it."

I brought the bike in and talked with the service manager who was skeptical that is was covered. I explained that I belong to a club of thousands of Venture riders and that this is a fairly common problem. Also told him that a few folks had needed to fight about it being covered but ultimately Yamaha had covered it.

Got a call back from him and he explained that a history check showed the rear suspension had already been replaced once by the previous owner. Again I'm thinking "here we go". I told him "that''s nice, but it still failed and it's still covered" and also shared tales from other owners who had replaced more than three under warranty. We hung up.

I called the next day to check in and I was told the part wasn't in stock and it'd be a while before they could get it. Again, I'm thinking "here we go". I checked in that Friday (only 3 days after I had dropped the bike off) to get an end of week update. They told me the part was in, They were trying to get it fixed that night but it may be Saturday before it was ready. Covered by warranty. What a nice surprise - no fighting and riding for the weekend!

So far when there's been any question on things like this, I've been able to calmly state facts - many of which are learned here (Thanks Don & everyone who contributes) - which show my point. This dealer has been very good about taking that into consideration and doing what's right when I take this approach.

Sometimes I think that dealers are so unfamiliar with lower profile bikes like the Ventures that they aren't aware of what's covered. Similar parts are not covered on other bikes or never fail within warranty periods so they don't see the situations often. Not being one to embrace conspiracy theories easily, I prefer to believe that it's more often unfamiliarity or apathy rather than spite that cause many dealers to question warranty coverages.

Anyway, thought I'd share some positive dealer news since it's easy to overlook that when we hit a bad experience. :happy34:

Sometimes I think that dealers are so unfamiliar with lower profile bikes like the Ventures that they aren't aware of what's covered. Similar parts are not covered on other bikes or never fail within warranty periods so they don't see the situations often. Not being one to embrace conspiracy theories easily, I prefer to believe that it's more often unfamiliarity or apathy rather than spite that cause many dealers to question warranty coverages.

Anyway, thought I'd share some positive dealer news since it's easy to overlook that when we hit a bad experience. :happy34:

Ditto here - although the dealer has been R-E-A-L slow to get back to me, he has been trying. Was totally unfamiliar with the whine - once we discussed it calmly - about 800 times and he made a few phone calls, he has called the Yamaha Rep who now needs to "hear" the whine etc etc etc - but I learned that it is more unfamiliarity and uncertainty than anything else. This dealer (Tennyson's - Ontario), has been excellent on the sales side (I was able to ride any new bike before purchasing - unheard of in my neck of the woods here!!) - the service side does take a bit of patience but overall, they do truly try to help.

This site is great because you walk into the dealer armed with facts and end up explaining things to them instead of depending on them for your info. A lot of small dealers don't see many RSV's or RSTD's. The ones they do see mostly are for routine maintenance and they're not familiar with the few issues some of these bikes have.

One of the factors in my decision to buy Yamaha was the excellent rep my local dealer has in the area. Blue Ridge Yamaha in Blue Ridge Ga. So far I haven't been disapointed.-Jack