IGNORED

Battery low-electrolyte-level alarm

I started the bike this morning for the first time this season.

For the first time ever, I had the battery plugged into a battery-minder through the winter. The battery remained in the bike throughout the winter. (I have a permanent charger-connector on the battery and am able to connect the charger to it via a cable whose end is available externally.)

When I turned the key I got the usual run-through of alarms on the dispaly, but the low-electrolyte alarm stayed on.

I removed the cover and the electrolyte level in the sensor's cell, as well as the rest, seemed OK to me, so I removed the sensor, dipped it in a glass of water and the alarm stayed on. I think that I might have a bad sensor, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, after determining that the battery level was OK, I put things back together, started the bike and went out for a ride. The bike started and ran beautifully.

I want to have a working sensor and NOT do the resistor "mod" to eliminate the alarm, so:

1. Do these battery sensors occasionally fail?

2. Is dipping the sensor in a glass of water an adequate way to test it, or is the electrolyte part of the circuit? If so, should I just add demin water regardless of the present level in that cell?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Well, I was wrong. I added water to the upper level mark and the alarm went bye bye. The sensor was just doing it's job and my eyes were not.

I filled the rest of the cells to the same level.

Thanks again for the offer, scotty. I appreciate it.

the sensor works like this...It passes and electrical signal to the monitor system. In this case for the monitor to shut off the "alarm" it needs 5 volts. The electrolite in the middle cells give a total of approx 6-7 volts+ when testing to ground. But if the electrolite does not touch the sensor the result is NO voltage to the system. Thus the alarm. So sticking it in a glass of water does not send the needed voltage.