IGNORED

Computer screwed up.....Norton

Venturous Randy

Every time there is a discussion about anti-virus programs, Norton gets blasted. I've never understood. I've been using Norton anti-virus for more than 20 years and have never had a problem with it. It's never messed up my computers and has never failed to protect me. I'm always surprised to hear of all the issues that people have with it.

All I know is mine was doing ok until the Norton download and in the middle of it I got the "low on memory" box and now it is real slow.

RandyA

All I know is mine was doing ok until the Norton download and in the middle of it I got the "low on memory" box and now it is real slow.

RandyA

That's the problem buddy. Norton is such resource hog, it's using up all your available RAM to run and the computer doesn't have anything left to run programs or open internet sites.

I also had used Norton for years as years go by

It has become a very bloated piece of software

I have grown very tired if it making computer totally unusable

Most of the problems I have run into usually seem to be Norton

Taking over the machine

It does a good job of protecting you computer

I guess if you cant use the computer you wont break it

The district I work as a computer tech we get it for a good price

3 techs not one of us will load it on our computers

If you want something good and free

Microsoft Security Essentials -- I switched from AVG

I do like AVG but MSE does a great job of removing spy ware that AVG has missed

For those people that like to click yes to everything

:2cents:

Dave

Every time there is a discussion about anti-virus programs, Norton gets blasted. I've never understood. I've been using Norton anti-virus for more than 20 years and have never had a problem with it. It's never messed up my computers and has never failed to protect me. I'm always surprised to hear of all the issues that people have with it.

Not knocking any of the others and in fact, I've installed AVG on my son and my wife's computers just because it is free and it seems to work very well.

I have an older hp that was upgraded to windows xp 3 years ago. about a month ago the antivir virus tried to get in. Norton 360 version 4 supposedly stopped it. But I had to call microsoft virus support to get it to go away. It couldnt get into the puter because norton was holding it but I kept getting popups. So after I called microsoft, the puter was running slow. I mean real slow. I called microsoft again thursday am, and was on the phone for 3 hours while the tech worked on the thing. What he found out was that while the computer itself didnt have a virus, The Norton 360 had one imbedded in it. I uninstalled Norton, installed avg and now it works great. I had never had a problem with norton before, but for the last 6 months it has been a pita. Good riddance.

Ditto- all the lousy things said about Norton and McAfee. Far too invasive and difficult to purge (even then there are still remnants in the registry) I used AVG it's ok....Trend micro got to be a little quirky at the point I quit using it a few years ago. I used to really like Zonealarm, till the were bought by Checkpoint a few years ago; after that, quality and compatability went south bigtime. One that I use to use that was also very good (I don't know about now) was Panda.

I currently use COMODO (free version) and Malwarebytes haven't had a single problem, intrusion or infestation.

I used to really like Zonealarm, till the were bought by Checkpoint a few years ago; after that, quality and compatability went south bigtime.

yep, I used to use Zonealarm years ago and about 6 month's ago I decided to install it on my son's computer after rebuilding it due to a bad virus. Zonealarm caused lots of problems...dumped it real quick.