IGNORED

Secondaty Coil Resistance

Still tracking down the intermittent spark problem on cylinder #1. Pulled rear coils and checked them for resistance, primary resistance was within limits, secondary coil resistance showed an open loop on both coils. Just to be sure,to check secondary resistance per the book I should put one lead from the DVOM into the spark plug wire( with the cap off) and the other should be to ground at the coil mount. The DVOM shows open loop on both coils. The cylinder #2 that uses the other coil in the pack is firing as it should, or at least it is firing ( exhaust gets hot). This makes on sense.

I do not know for sure on your bike, but the book is absolutely wrong for 2nd gen coils - you cannot measure to ground. One of the wires for the primary is common with the secondary.

Goose

V7Goose, thanks for the input, not knowing which lead to check secondary resistance with, I checked it using both terminals and came out with the same value that was within range. Does that mean all is OK?

Be sure to remove all 4 plug wires, and nip off about 1/4 inch of wire on each end, and re-install them

Its just solid core 7MM plug wire. Good time to replace, get it in bulk at most any auto parts store.

GeorgeS, I took your advise and clipped 1/4" off the ends of the plug wires,have not tried to start the bike to see if it made any difference, also on my bike 96 Royal Star the wires are part of the coil assembly and cannot be replaced. Thanks