IGNORED

Fuel leak and Carb Sync

I have a 2007 RSTD pouring fuel. Searched the threads here and figue it is a stuck carb needle. The leak occured after utilizing seafoam. I guess some of the debris it loosened created the sticking needle problem. Dealer wants $648 to fix !! I'm all thumbs with tools so I really have no choice. Any other suggestions? Also, is there anyone in the Central Arkansas area (other than a dealer) than can sync the carbs for me? If so let me know where and when we could meet and a cost.

Thank you !!

archeryguy

Sounds pretty steep to me. Is fuel coming out of the overflow vent? Sounds a lot like something may be under the float needle seat thereby causing the fuel to flow continuously. Try opening the drain screw on the bottom of the bowl and letting it drain while at the same time tapping on the bowl with the handle of a screwdriver to loosen whatever it is. It just may bcome out with the draining of the fuel then. Hope this helps.

The fuel is streaming from the bottom of the radiator cowling. I'm sure it can't be a very difficult fix. I bought my RSTD new a couple of years ago and it only has 3,500 miles on it. Been very diligent having all maintenance done and putting fuel stabilizer in when in storage. I think I can tear it apart but putting it back together is where the problem begins.

Thanks for your reply !!

The fuel is streaming from the bottom of the radiator cowling. I'm sure it can't be a very difficult fix. I bought my RSTD new a couple of years ago and it only has 3,500 miles on it. Been very diligent having all maintenance done and putting fuel stabilizer in when in storage. I think I can tear it apart but putting it back together is where the problem begins.

Thanks for your reply !!

Have you tried to gently tap the bottom of the carberator's with a rubber mallet?

Going to tap on the bottoms of the carbs tonight and see if that helps. I have not gotten into a detailed discussion with the dealer about the problem. Service tech I talked to on the phone stated

".....it's probally because of some bad gas and utilizing a stabilizer don't always work. If we tear into the carbs it be around $648. It is at least a 2 or 2.5 hour job........"

I'm going to do my best to address the issue first myself based on the responses I've gotten on this forum. If that does not work then I'll go to the dealer. I'll take the issue up with them face to face if I need too.

Thanks again for your advice and help !!!!!!

Actually, that quote is about right for how much work it takes to pull the carbs so you can pull the float bowls. And something stuck in the float valves would rarely be covered under warranty unless it happened real soon after buying it. It's a darn shame. You might try arguing with them that a fairly new bike with a fuel filter could not possibly have any foreign substance in the fuel line large enough to cause the problem unless it was left in there from the factory - might work, might not (a decent shop would absolutely take care of it). And you are right, the problem is really not too hard to fix, even if you do have to pull the carbs.

The best chance you have to fix it is to drain all the carb bowls to allow the floats to fall down and fully open the valves. This might dislodge whatever is stuck in one when you turn the key back on and they get a full rush of fuel to fill the bowls again.

Here is an offer for you - not sure yet of the exact days, but if you are interested, I'll run up there and work on it for ya - no charge except bed and food. Besides just fixing your problems, the reality is that your floats are already set way too high from the factory (out of spec), and this is a good opportunity to get that fixed too. You can give me a call and we can talk about it if you like - check my member details.

Goose

Got home last night took a screwdriver and tapped the bowls of the carbs. Wala, no more fuel leak. I let her warm up a bit and went for a ride to the gas station. Filled her up with fuel and proceeded to "ride it like I stole it". By the time I got home she was purrin' like a kitten.

I appreciate everyones suggestions, advice and replys. I hope I'll be able to help you in some way down the road.

Thanks again,

Archeryguy

Got home last night took a screwdriver and tapped the bowls of the carbs. Wala, no more fuel leak. I let her warm up a bit and went for a ride to the gas station. Filled her up with fuel and proceeded to "ride it like I stole it". By the time I got home she was purrin' like a kitten.

I appreciate everyones suggestions, advice and replys. I hope I'll be able to help you in some way down the road.

Thanks again,

Archeryguy

dontcha just love the simple free fixes to a seemingly expensive repair? now go buy a lottery ticket!